Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New chainsaw recommendations

This thread interests me, and I've actually done a fair amount of research in the past, still haven't made a decision yet. there are Die hard fans in either direction for Husq. and Stihl. There are some major differences in the professional grade saws, and the "home or ranch" saws (or so say the pros) it can be overwhelming (and expensive) decision. I think the most important consideration is how big of a bar do you want to run on it? I'd pick the saw based on your bar length. Is it going to be dedicated as a "big saw" or are you going to want to use it for all of your blank cutting. I've been tempted in the past with a MS440 and the MS441
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Rick, there's no doubt that it is like a Chevy vs Ford debate. You have your favorite and stick up for it.

The H saws are good saws. The Stihls are good saws. I have and like my Farmboss 290. It does a good job cutting firewood and blanks with a 20" bar. Could I go bigger? Oh, yeah! Do I want to spend the money on a 30+" bar? Um, no. So, I have to make due.

The other thing to think about is that the bigger the saw you go with, the heavier it is going to be. That weight can wear you out, but good. There is no doubt that I've drooled over some of the big guns and wished I had them for some of the really big (for me) stuff I've cut up where my 20" bar didn't make it all the way through. I just have to weigh how much I want/need that big boy. Of course, now that I'll have a lathe with a 28" swing...
    Last edited by John Keeton; 06-14-2012 at 7:15 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I use a Husqvarna 372-----running a 24 inch bar. Best saw I have ever owned and the most expensive.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Sigh........

...once again I find it necessary to invoke a reality check. Some of the saws suggested might be "OK" for most folks but why not just get what everyone really wants right up front....

chainsaw.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

5. Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Sigh........

...once again I find it necessary to invoke a reality check. Some of the saws suggested might be "OK" for most folks but why not just get what everyone really wants right up front....

chainsaw.jpg
    David..........that is a two-man saw! As if?!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Eric,

Definitely research the Husky's. I'm with Gary. My wife and I have two of those 372's. They have been wonderful saws--start w/ three pulls EVERY time, no matter what temp., lightweight, very powerful. We have the usual 24" bar, a 36" bar, and also use the two of them at opposite ends of our 6' chainsaw mill.

I've had a couple Stihls, but would not go back.

Mark

I've bought a Stihl MS 361 about 6 years ago. I cut about 8-10 cords of wood a year with it, mostly hickory and ash. I sharpen my own chains and do my own maintenance and have never had any problems whatsoever.

I never use safety (anti kickback) chains. They suck!

To step up from your 50cc class saw (the 260) you need to go to a 70cc class saw. The MS361/362 are good saws, but they would be a wasted step over the 260. They should normally run a 20" bar, only stepping to 25" for occasional jobs. Once you are into the 70cc class, you can comfortably run a bar from 20" up to 32-36" with tons of power and speed. In the Stihl line, you need to be looking at a 441, or even better the 461 (not a cheap saw). Husky has their equivalents too that will serve well. Go to a real dealer. Anything you can find in a box store is cheap and heavy with marginal performance.

Yes, Stihl chain really is significantly better than other brands. It holds an edge much better. Don't let any dealer grind your chains. They all ruin them, and it costs way too much. Get a file and sharpen your chains by hand ... it only takes literally a couple minutes. You need to be touching them up at least every couple tanks of fuel. Don't wear them down to stumps before you try to sharpen them. You don't need a grinder at all unless you rock a chain, or hit some big metal, etc.

Here is a chainsaw for neanders.
    chainsaw.jpg

Husqvarna's are for quilt makers and seamstresses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I make dirt out of woodworking tools.

"...that is a two-man saw!"

The other man comes with it....
    David DeCristoforo

Okay, Ford rules, Chevy sucks, blah blah blah.

I have one Husqvarna and three Stihls. All are "pro" grade. The ones you want to look at in either line are the white colored handles in Stihl, and the "XP" models in Husqvarna, as well as their "359" model, mentioned already. Very good saw for the money! Buy the absolute biggest you can afford, if you think you're going to use it. Since you have an 026, I know you appreciate quality--the pro models cost about 2/3 more, almost 2x the price of the farm boss homeowner series. They're worth it.