Thread: a edge lit sign with standoff letters a bit different.

a edge lit sign with standoff letters a bit different.

I was playing on a different idea on lit signs and this popped into my head. Color choices are not great but I only had the red LED on hand. I need to fix the light leak too but that's easy with some white silicone. This is a easy sign to make and i have not seen the combo of edge lit and standoff letters. wiring is easy as you only have a LED strip on top or bottom or both depending on the size.
    the base is 1/2" acrylic drilled for the standoffs and I just spray painted it then cut through with a 1/8" bit .02 deep I offset the outline of the letters a little bit too. cut the letters and frame from 1/2" white sintra. wonder what it would look like without standoff letters?

Steve knight
    cnc routing

Thanks for sharing. I love the edge lit signs but haven't had a chance to make one yet. Your sign looks pretty good even when it isn't lit.
    CAMaster Cobra X3 408 w/Recoil
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

that's what I was after a sign that would work in daylight too since edge lit stuff does not work in bright light.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Nice job Steve, yours is the first of its kind as far as I know.

been awhile since I did something no one else has done. I will seal it up today and see how it looks without the leaking. what color combo's do you think that would work together? the whole idea is to have a daylight night time sign.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Looks like the paint is too thin and it is letting light through. well one coat of speed paint can only do so much.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Hopefully this is pretty different. took some work to get it to work right. light leakage and not blocking the light were some. This is easier then backlighting and takes less leds. Going to sue higher intensity LEDS but this is what I have.

Steve knight
    cnc routing