Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spalted poplar HF

Beautiful piece and beautiful wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful form, Tim and the wood is awesome. Would love to hear what you "pic" up from your photo class.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Awesome piece Tim! I love the form, don't see how it could get any better and ditto John K on drop dead gorgeous wood!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

terrific vessel
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

You probably already know that I love the form!!! Really nice! Beautiful wood! Always amazed at the different patterns and colors that the spalting process can create! Nice work!

As far as the photography... might try moving the light source slightly towards the front to lighten up the bottom portion of the form. JMO. If you can take a class - great! If not - just play around with your settings and find what works for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Poplar can have some beautiful spalting and the lines can be amazing. That's how it is in this case. Beautiful piece. I have alot of it spalting right now.

Wonderful form and wood. Photo/Side #1 is as good as it gets. Not exactly cabinet grade Poplar.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    As far as the photography... might try moving the light source slightly towards the front to lighten up the bottom portion of the form. JMO. If you can take a class - great! If not - just play around with your settings and find what works for you!
    Agreed and there is a wealth of info out here on the interweb too! Like anything practice and experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    Dave...I have no doubt on that being a big spiral! I was photographing in near darkness, with only a little natural light reflecting in. My exposure time was about 10 seconds...if that tells you anything and my F stop somewhere around 10, if I recall. Anything else...all Greek. I keep adjusting my white balance (changes for same setup but different piece) till it seems about right, then load into Photoshop to correct exposure/color.
    Kinda like turning a bowl with a shovel head...may get a bowl and OK results, but better ways of doing it and coming out better!

By the way, thanks all for the nice comments on this piece.
    tripod or no tripod? On the longer exposures, a tripod is key but another little trick if you don't have a remove shutter release is to put the camera in timer mode (like you're going to be in the photo) and take the photo that way. That eliminates the camera shake from when you push the shutter button.

Are you using full blown photoshop or photoshop elements? (just curious, not saying one is better for you just differs what I know about the app).

Sorry for my unsolicited input Photography is a lifelong hobby/passion of mine and a side job so I have a hard time not chiming in. It's actually something I feel like I can chip in with on these forums since when it comes to wood turning I but a peasant around here. Its another that the further you get into it the more there is to learn and experiment with.

Lighting gets tricky when you start dealing with reflective pieces But a simple way to light things like this is with a cheap store bought light box and two work or desk lights on either side or something like this:

http://digital-photography-school.co...ive-light-tent

A cheap grey card helps dumb down getting the proper white balance as well.

Wow that's a sharp lookin piece. Didn't know poplar would spalt so nice. might have to try spalting some.