Thread: Cedar Adirondack Chairs

Cedar Adirondack Chairs

My folks had an old white cedar deck that they were replacing so I cut up all the boards and culled out the decent pieces and planed them down, got rid of the old stain etc. and have built a few adirondack chairs and loveseat.

ben chair.jpg

this is a chair that I built for my son at 2/3's the full size of the NYWS plans.

I am trying to figure out if or what I should do for a finish. I have read a few things on here where you shouldn't do any finish at all. I have a gallon of semi-transparent wood stain that i was thinking of spraying on just to give it something but I could leave it as is.

I am planning on bringing these in during the winter time so they will only be outside during the spring / summer and fall.

Thanks,
    Greg

Call me lazy - no finish.

I agree--no finish. Let it weather naturally.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

+1 on no finish.. not because I'm lazy (but I am) because I really prefer the natural weathered. Did 2 Adirondack chairs and table 2 years ago and they are taking on a nice patina.. + no maintenance every cpl years

No finish on these. If you feel you must, something penetrating, like Penofin would be my choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Beat me to it ... PENOFIN will give you protection, with or without coloring the wood, depending on which color # you get.