Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Router table plate

Best Router table plate

Hello All, After buying the plate from Router Depot, aluminum, I am at a loss on a good plate to get. The plate was real bottom barrel stuff. I really want alum rings. Blank to custom drill for my router. Thick to with stand abuse. And flat for presicion joinery. After reading reviews on the Kreg, Jessem, and Bench Dog, There are always reviews that sight limitations in the plate flatness. Warping seems common, And I am guessing after one or two fellows returned the items and then received warped replacements it was common for that brand.
    What's the best out there???? I hand ground the Depot plate flat but am unimpressed with the inserts and now need to get it anodized, but realize that it may just be easier to buy a flat plate instead and throw this one away.....

Depends on how tight your tolerances are. I am happy with the Rockler plates, but their inserts are plastic. I've never come close to breaking or wearing out the plastic inserts, but then maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

If it were a lift I would get a INCRA Mast-R-Lift II and if it were just the plate I would get the Incra plate.
    The lifts and plates both have the metal Magnalock insert rings that are quick tool less change and seem to be the way to go. Also I know the lifts are blanchard ground for flatness but I am not sure on the regular plates. But the regular plates are 3/8"-thick aluminum and are pre drilled for your router. They both have the cam locks in the corners to lock them into the tables as well.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I will google that right now Richard thanks. I have a Roseau, they make them with a crown, have lived with it for longer than I would like to admit.... PLates need to be dead flat with the table for precise joinery IMO. Incra.... any other votes?

I like my Rousseau. The slight rise makes for exact depth of cut. But, that discussion could turn into an argument.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Maybe you would be better served by a shaper.

I'm considering the new Jessem table that eliminates the plate, but its pricey.

Myk,The hump that is part of the Rousseau design allows the work to pivot on the the hump making for sloppy joints. It's fine if your just pushing thru moulding type stuff but it's definiately not a precision device. I have more often than not cut by hand than offer fine work to the Ross plate.
    Yep Barry a shaper is fine for many things but smallish joinery like sliding dovetails etc.. are nicely cut on a router table.
    Micheal I am right there with you. Pricey. I also save space by hanging the table on the wall via a 1" hole in the table surface. I use sawhorses for a base most times. Wish I could hang the shaper on the wall when not in use.....
    I have often thought about eliminating the plate also. On Pat Warner's web site he talks about "pre-stressed " mdf as a top. Anyone know what PS MDF is???
    I did just buy the Incra. Seems a steal after the awful Router Depot plate. Wish I had returned it.... Needed to pull the plug. In the middle of a project and just can not use the Ross Plate. It became apparent after rebuilding my top and fence that it was the weakest link in my set-up.

Maybe you would be interested in the Lee Valley systems which include insert or table and all sorts of components for precision routing http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/ind...?cat=1%2c43053.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I went with a Benchdog/Jessem hybrid solution that has worked very well for me. Everything is very flat allowing for precision joinery.

Well, I built my table 7 or so years ago and at that time I narrowed it down to the Jess-um and the Woodpecker PRL. I went with the Woodpecker because the lift mechanism utilized a chain drive .vs. a rubber belt and metal .vs. plastic. I've been happy I have the 32/1 threaded rods so micro shifts are easy and dead on. I mated that with the Incra LS120 fence and I'm extremely accurate down to the thou. I threw the PC7518 in it and I've done some stuff that some would do on a shaper. I really like the new MLCS plate with built in electric lift, but the tube will not accept the 7518 so that's out. I'd love to have the electric lift. Good luck.
    router table.jpgrouter_table.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Hankins; 06-14-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: add pic

Another vote for the Incra plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gatti View Post
    I went with a Benchdog/Jessem hybrid solution that has worked very well for me. Everything is very flat allowing for precision joinery.
    Very Nice, I like that!

Incra here too. Early days, but it's flat and the variable size inserts are very handy. I also have one of their tables and positoners.

ian

Another vote for the Incra Plate. I absolutely love the Magnalock inserts.