Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Best gloat ever!

My Best gloat ever!

My life was one that a lot off woodworkers envied. I had a kitchen manufacturing factory and if that was not enough I had a workshop at home to die for. Life was good and weekends were spent turning and making boxes, my two favourite woodworking disciplines.
    Then the bubble burst, the markets turned, developers stop placing orders for cabinets and we lost the factory. I tried to stay afloat and turned my homeshop into a production shop. But unfortunately here at the southern end of Africa, people are more concerned with saving a couple of Rands (8.163ZAR = 1US$) than with quality and handmade furniture.
    I soon realised that this was not going to feed my family and I started looking for a job. Now these are hard to find anywhere in the world but in South Africa, we have a whole bunch of factors that is working against men of my background, as well. When the process of finding employment started to drag on for too long I was forced to start selling off my tools. This was the saddest day of my life, especially because second-hand woodwork tools do not fetch a whole lot, and when people find out how desperate the situation is,it gets even worse.
    But I persevered and finally found very good employment. I put inn every effort and reached the personal goals set for myself, in record time. To achieve this however, I worked long hours and this started to take its toll. Then, the words every man should hear from a loving wife and the best mother in the world! “You cannot continue to work like this without a hobby, why don’t you do some woodworking again?” Bingo!!!!
    We did the sums and increased our savings portion of our income slightly, to start saving for a new lathe. I was adamant that I was not going to buy any tools until I had enough saved to buy everything I needed to turn comfortably. It is extremely frustrating if you are used to have everything and then have to go back to making do.
    When I had enough saved up I contact my regular tool supplier and told him I am back and would like to place an orde rfor a Nova 1624. He then said if I am interested the son of one of his best clients is selling a very good condition1624 and would I consider looking at a second hand one. It is not their policy to sell second-hand, but this is a special circumstance. It turned out that the owner passed away 2 months after buying the lathe and that the lathe has never been used.

Well here are some pictures of my “new” Nova 1624 and someother items that I bought. The chuck and jaws were part of the lathe purchase and even thou the boxes were covered in dust, the different jaw sets were still fastened with the original cable ties and packed in the greased plastic.
    To my wife “Thanks my Love, I promise to always be there foryou and the boys!”
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glenda Marais; 06-14-2012 at 6:09 AM.

What a find! Great looking setup and it obviously has not been used. Congrats, and glad to see you back in the game!

Usually, I don't look at "new" puchases (even though this one was used...but not used) as gloats. But with the story behind it, it is a gloat indeed. Congrats on turning you life back around, and welcome back to the world of spinny!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Trust me I know what you are talking about. Our wood working keeps food on the table and the market has been very slow the last couple of years. I have already stopped building furniture and sold off part of the equipment.
    Wish you the best of luck-----nice score on the lathe and all the extras.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

That's an inspiring story, thanks for sharing it.

Welcome back to your new life.

Glenda - thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your new turning equipment! Looks like you will be all set for quite some time! Enjoy and be sure to post some photos of your work!! Have fun!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Now all you need to do is get it dusty. Great stort, and nice gloat.

9. Congratulations on your comeback! Best wishes for a complete renewal...........if we do not let trials make us bitter, they will make us better!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I hope that life will continue to improve.
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks for sharing your story of renewal...here's to hopes things keep moving in a positive direction for and others facing similar and worse situations from the global slowdown.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your pieces...I expect you have alot of pent up ideas ready to start on.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great find. Now have some fun and enjoy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thank you all so much for the nice words and wishes. Belief me I have already started to put saw dust all over the shop floor. I will post some work soon.
    Only problem now is that it has been reverted back to a garage and it now shares the space with the cars and the condition was that I clean up everytime I turn. But this is a small price to pay!

Welcome back to the vortex! That 1624 looks just like mine (except mine has yellow stains from BLO and dark stains from turning black walnut!)
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

nice gloat, glad to see ya turning again