Thread: Canoe paddle

Canoe paddle

I would like to try making a dozen or so canoe paddles and am trying to figure out how to make the blade part curved. I am thinking of building a planner sled that holds one corner 1/8 inch higher then the other and then run the paddle blank through 4 times then doing a bit of sanding to break the sharp corners.

Can anyone suggest a better way to to put the curve in the paddles?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I've never built a paddle, but I know how I would do it:

Bandsaw. Start with a square blank. Cut out curved part on both sides. Tape cutoffs back on, lie flat and cut out the outline of the paddle and handle.

You could also do this with several pieces which get glued up after cutouts. Maybe throw in some contrasting wood.

Steve, I just gave that a try and it does work, so thanks. But my band saw isn't large enough to do a full sized paddle that way. About the widest paddle I could do with that method is 4 inches, although if I take the guides off maybe it will work. If anyone else has any other ideas I would like to hear them.

Hans (35 watt YAG)

I would build a router sled. Make a jig to hold the paddle with a curved piece matching the curve of the paddle at the bottom and top of the paddle part. Run the router length wise as you moveit over teh hump. Clean up with a ROS. I hope that is clear enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I would build a router sled. Make a jig to hold the paddle with a curved piece matching the curve of the paddle at the bottom and top of the paddle part. Run the router length wise as you moveit over teh hump. Clean up with a ROS. I hope that is clear enough.
    What would you use for a bit to remove that much wood?

Hans (35 watt YAG)

Blog Entries
    And if you really want to save some time, this is a case where the traditional methods would probably be faster than all the jigs if you're not going into producing more than a dozen . A drawknife and spokeshave would create that shape very easily. You could also use a tablesaw to cut off four sections. Sort of like a tablesaw raised panel.
    Last edited by Bill ThompsonNM; 06-14-2012 at 1:02 PM.

Making a canoe paddle....

One method: http://woodgears.ca/canoe_paddle/index.html

Another method is sort of described here: Nick Offerman on Martha Stewart

Lee Valley also has some basic instructions: http://www.leevalley.com/en/shopping...o.aspx?p=43995

I just sort of winged it myself: http://wordsnwood.com/2012/paddle/ (Based on the 1st and 3rd link above).
    This weekend I'll finally get around to putting one of my paddles in the water to try out, and I'm looking forward to it!
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    What would you use for a bit to remove that much wood?
    3/4" diameter

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    although if I take the guides off maybe it will work..
    That will NOT work. How often are you willing to put the blade back on before giving up? How many blades are you willing to break?

Get a spokeshave, as mentioned up-thread, or, I think it was WoodSmith mag just did an article on a router sled for chair seats. That could be adapted to you needs.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

When I build a paddle for my home build kayak, I made a form, clamped the blade in it as I epoxied the 1/8" stripes together. The back of the blade was on piece. Here is the blade being epoxied together in the form. However, there are many that argue you don't want a curve in a canoe paddle. I don't know. Here is the site I used to figure out how to make my paddle. http://ngc704.home.comcast.net/~ngc704/paddles/ I wanted to do birds mouth shaft, just because, my paddle ended up weighing 28oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We the People ........"