Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carriage-House Style garage door construction technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    That is an exceptional piece of work. Thanks for all the pictures showing how you made it.

I have nothing but good things to say about Clopay Garage Doors. I have several of their doors and they are great. In addition, when I have needed a part they were extremely helpful.

Larry thanks for the comment. The customer service is key to success in any business - I admire Coplay for their customer service.
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 07-07-2013 at 2:50 PM.

VERY nice work...A labor of love..very well done!!! You should be proud.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    VERY nice work...A labor of love..very well done!!! You should be proud.
    Jerry, thanks for the complement. Jerry

Jerry, that is very nice!! I love the warmth that it adds to the look of a regular old garage door. What did you use on the top panel, for the appearance of glass? Also what do you finish your cedar with??
    Last edited by Jeff Monson; 07-19-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Jerry, that is very nice!! I love the warmth that it adds to the look of a regular old garage door. What did you use on the top panel, for the appearance of glass? Also what do you finish your cedar with??
    Jeff, thank you for the complement.

I used individual pieces of tinted acrylic separated by mullions for the window panels. I did not want actual windows in the door so I did not cut out window openings in the top Cloplay overhead steel door panel. I felt insulation value would be lost, the door would be less secure, and bugs would be attracted. I was told by the plastic supplier that acrylic is less susceptible to scratching than other plastics that that could have been used.

I finished the all the stiles, rails and panel boards with a brownish black custom mixed Cabot exterior transparent stain. After staining, I distressed edges of the stiles and rails with an orbital sander, then restained the stiles and rails with Cabot Mahogany Flame Australian Timber Oil . That made the stiles and rails stand out. I did not used a surface finish like polyurethane.
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 07-20-2013 at 7:28 PM.