Thread: What Finish is best for a Cherry Bathroom Vanities

What Finish is best for a Cherry Bathroom Vanities

Due to the amount of moisture from the shower, I though I should ask some of the experts here.

I have used these finishes in the past with good results, I just have not finished anything that would have to deal with the amount of moisture in a bathroom.

• General Finishes Arm-R-Seal w/ Seal-A-Cell Clear
    • General Finishes Enduro-Var Water-Based Urethane

Also this I have the color my wife wants (Bulls Eye Cabernet) in a oil stain and a water based dye (GF Empire Red/Merlot mix) I think I would prefer the oil based stain though.

The oil is an exact match to our bedroom furniture, the water based dye is a close match. worried about blotch control though I have used General Finishes Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner with some success.

I have used Charles Neil's product to control blotching. It works great. I used to use hide glue sizing with great success also.

I would not use either of the top coats you mentioned; top notch varnish will outperform either. Waterlox Original would be an excellent choice. Biggest drawback is that it is very slow drying.

As for your color choices; that's up to you... personally I don't "color" cherry. It one of the most beautiful and fastest darkening woods in the world. I know of no other wood that add patina faster nor more beautifully than American Black Cherry. Stains and dyes only hide it beauty.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I would not use either of the top coats you mentioned; top notch varnish will outperform either. Waterlox Original would be an excellent choice. Biggest drawback is that it is very slow drying.

As for your color choices; that's up to you... personally I don't "color" cherry. It one of the most beautiful and fastest darkening woods in the world. I know of no other wood that add patina faster nor more beautifully than American Black Cherry. Stains and dyes only hide it beauty.
    051.jpg 050.jpg 015.jpg

Slow drying would be an issue. As for the color, my wife wants a match to the bedroom set. This cat bed I made is the desired finish. I'm not fond of staining it either, but I do not want to go against my better half's choice.

When you say long dry time, is that before re-coats or tack free time. I do not have a dedicated finish area. I do have a Powermatic PM1200 air filtration unit.
    Is this a wipe on or can I spray it?

I'm willing to try it. If I recall arm-r-seal is very slow to dry also

Are you referring to

Waterlox orginal satin finish, Waterlox orginal Sealer and Finish or both. I have never used this product, can you explain a bit more in depth?
    Last edited by Bill Trouard; 06-17-2012 at 5:09 PM.

waterlox can be sprayed, but most people choose to wipe or brush it on. you can apply two to three wiping coats a day with a 24hr cure period. it takes approx. 30 days or so for waterlox to fully cure. i like the original sealer/finish. on the waterlox site they have a good pdf on how to apply the product.

Thanks for the input. I ordered both. guess I'll be setting up a pvc pipe and plastic sheeting booth.
    Last edited by Bill Trouard; 06-18-2012 at 3:03 PM.