Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 200 Years Ago Today

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    it was a war with the British..Canada did not come into existence until 1867 and even then we were very close to Britain. Sometimes I wish we had chosen the American path of total independence....as it is now we technically are still connected to Britain with our Governor-General
    But I got to collect those lovely King George Canadian postage stamps as a kid.

I would never invade Canada. I honor the Lee Valley peace treaty.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    200 years ago there might have been reasons for fighting a war.

Today? I would find it difficult to go to war with any country that gave us a classic comedy like "Strange Brew"........ That is on my short list of all time movie greats!
    LOL..........Well actually you were at war with Britain Ken, we just happened to be their colony.........Rod.

I am proud to be an American born and bred in Indiana - but I get a warm comfortable peaceful feeling when I see a flag with the Maple Leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    i think they have successfully invaded us!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territo...tion_of_Mexico

The last time we were at war was in 1999, or so says the South Park movie...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The USS Constitution earned her nickname "Old Ironsides" during this war. She is parked just down the street from us and these next few weeks are going to be a celebration of her. There 90 x 45 foot flags unfurled as a reminder of the 200 years of peace between the nations that fought during the War of 1812.
    Canadian flag.jpgUS Flag.jpg
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I say we go for it, just to be on the safe side. Maybe I'll end up with a Lee Valley near me.

On second thought, I think the last thing I need is a Lee Valley near me. Stand down.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I say we go for it, just to be on the safe side. Maybe I'll end up with a Lee Valley near me.

On second thought, I think the last thing I need is a Lee Valley near me.
    Stand down.
    I can vouch for that, I live 10 minutes from one Lee Valley store, and there's one 10 minutes from my work, my chequeing account hasn't recovered!

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    my chequeing account hasn't recovered!

regards, Rod.
    Before we can join forces and invade we're going to have to do something about the language barrier. You can't pay a member of the American military with a "cheque".
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 06-19-2012 at 11:09 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I am hoping we don't go to war with Canada, as that would probably mean the end of the Lee Valley annual plumb bob. I was hoping to collect a dozen or so and build a cabinet for them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Before we can join forces and invade we're going to have to do something about the language barrier. You can't pay a member of the American military with a "cheque".
    Wait till they find out our $1 coin (we have a $1 and $2 coin instead of paper money) is called a Loonie.......They probably will go for the cheque........LOL

The thing that struck me after reading a few books about it was how much and how widespread the opposition was to even the most minimal defensive military. This is an excellent book that focuses mainly on naval battles: http://www.amazon.com/Perilous-Fight...=9780307454959

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Wait till they find out our $1 coin (we have a $1 and $2 coin instead of paper money) is called a Loonie.......They probably will go for the cheque........LOL
    I used to travel to Canada a lot and remember the Loonie and the Toonie.

I guess all those people who think the war is over haven't seen the Black Hawks play the Canucks.
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><