Thread: A highchair for our newest grandson

A highchair for our newest grandson

Our youngest daughter had her first child on May 8. So my wife and I wanted to make a high chair for baby Craig.
    The back of the highchair is Intarsia The high chair is made from hard maple with 6 coats of lacquer. We modified the original plan but making it 3” taller. The original plan’s intarsia was of a puppy rather than a teddy bear, my wife modified the plan to look like a teddy bear. The wood used in the intarsia is aspen, walnut, anigre, sapele and Spanish cedar. My wife and I build everything from rough lumber. She made the cushion too.

Thanks for looking,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

John and Mrs., Very, very nice! I have four adult daughters and in the next few years I think I will be making several of these. Very nice indeed. Where did you source the plans and hardware?
    Thank you for posting, Patrick

Well......Grandpa and Grandma made an instant family heirloom of incredible beauty! That is gorgeous!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The plans from a book we have, I will have to check on that. They do sell the plan here The hardware for the tray is from Rockler. We bought the safety strap stuff from a sewing store. We make the tray too, Rockler makes a tray, but when we got it, the quality sucked. So we made our own.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I'm a Grandpa myself and there is nothing more satisfying than creating something they the little one will use, play with, and/or otherwise enjoy. I made a rocking chair for my granddaughter for Christmas last year, and I had never enjoyed making anything as much as I did that horse. The chair is beautiful, the intarsia is impecable. Well done Grandpa, and Grandma too.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

That's really nice, great job.
    Don

I am sure that will be treasured and passed to future generations.

Very nice work.

John, you and your wife are a team. You both do outstanding work. I can see your new granddaughter using that high chair for her new baby. The intarsia teddy bear really sets it off.

Outstanding work, Sam

That looks fantastic! The only problem that I can see is that the bear is so cute, the little one will keep trying to turn around to see it!

wow great team work that high chair looks great