Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor gloat...

Minor gloat...

Saturday, I picked up a Dewalt DW 735 planer for $450. The owner is moving across the continent and is unwilling to ship the machine. He showed me his workbench, with about six lineal feet of nicely planed maple and said, "Those boards are the only ones I ran through the planer." I looked inside, and other than a little bit of dust, the thing is showroom new. Then, I noticed a Delta 50-875 air cleaner on the floor. "How much you want for that?" I asked. "Hadn't really thought of selling it," he said, "but how about $125?" The dust that escaped the planer is in the air cleaner. Both machines nearly brand new.

Now I gotta build a flippy cart, and figure out where to hang the Delta . . .

Excellent score. Not terribly familiar with that Delta, it seems to be out of production, but from the specs, if it is in good shape, you got a steal...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

The Delta has been replaced with a less expensive unit, the 50-875T2, which has a pleated outer filter instead of the original electrostatic one. The specs are otherwise the same, near as I can tell. I've seen it advertized for as much as $450, and as little as $285. So getting it for $125 is, if not worthy of a "you suck", worth at least a sip, eh?

Guess I'll go over to the Workshop forum to see if I can get any advice on where in my shop to mount the thing.

Blog Entries
    In order to qualify for a "You Suck" there needs to be photos. Otherwise, it didn't happen.

Oh.
    Yeah.
    Forgot.

Here:
    DewaltA.jpgDewaltB.jpg

And here:
    DeltaA.jpgDeltaB.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    In order to qualify for a "You Suck" there needs to be photos. Otherwise, it didn't happen.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Porterfield View Post
    Oh.
    Yeah.
    Forgot.

Here:
    Ok...YOU SUCK! Been tryin to find me an air cleaner for a while. You're the second one I've seen gloat about one in the last month. Guess I need to move so I can find me some good deals

Blog Entries
    Oh.
    Yeah.
    Forgot.

Here:
    DewaltA.jpgDewaltB.jpg

And here:
    DeltaA.jpgDeltaB.jpg
    Now there's a gloat, and YOU SUCK!

You stole the delta for $125. Congrats.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Nice!

Thanks guys. I have hung the air cleaner from the ceiling of my shop. I still don't have a good place for the planer. I could leave it on the patio (as you see in the photos) but it's s'pozed to rain all damn weekend. So--until I get a cart for it built, I'll have to shuffle stuff around.

One thing about the air cleaner: it makes noise. It's not objectionable noise, such as from the air compressor, or even the HF dust collector...but it's loud enough that I can't hear the radio. I may have to invest in a pair of those head phones with the radio built in.

Oh, there is another thing about the air cleaner. It blows the wrong way! Meaning that for the intake to be near the dust clouds (sanders, table saw, SCMS, etc.) and the exhaust near me (workbench), the filter clog indicator vane faces the wall. (sigh) Guess I could shove a mirror up there every now and then to check it.

Not sure exactly HOW loud the air cleaner is. My Grizzly G0572 isn't all that loud. I can turn it up full tilt, and listen to the radio no problem. Then again, my HF dust collector is about the same... Either somehow you are getting noisy equipment, or your hearing is more sensitive to dust collecting technology noise than mine...

Have you looked to try to figure out just what is making all the racket?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

The gauge is calibrated for the junky filters Delta includes anyway. Once you get some good replacements it won't read right. Search the archives--there are some threads on buy replacements. I think I paid under $100 or maybe a little over for a long-term supply of filters for mine.

David:
    The Delta isn't "loud," so much as there is enough, um, white noise effect, so that the room is filled with a constant "whoosh" if you will. I doubt anyone hearing it would say there was anything like a "racket" and as far as I can determine, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the unit. Although on high speed, you definitely do notice it's on. I don't have the radio turned up very loud, either; I like to be able to talk on the phone without running over to the radio to turn it down. Background music and NPR, mostly. And where I have it located, it's about 4 feet from my head when I'm at the table saw whereas the radio is across the room, some 15 feet away.

Matt:
    Thanks for the hint: I'll look. You don't happen to recall where you got your filters?

nice gloat!

Matt:
    Thanks for the hint: I'll look. You don't happen to recall where you got your filters?
    Found it in my email archive:

http://www.filters-now.com

12x24x1 (11.5 x 23.5) Accumulair Gold 1-Inch Filter (MERV 8)
    Qty: 8 Price: $5.99 each
    http://www.filters-now.com/products/ffb.html#products

12x24x12 (95%) Accumulair 5 Pocket Synthetic Bag Filter (No Gasket, No Loops)
    Qty: 2 Price: $13.60 each
    http://www.filters-now.com/products/ir5.html#products

I had found a coupon code and got a discount and free shipping. Total was $68. Regular price is $83.11 shipped.