Thread: Veneered keepsake box (why i like my bandsaw)

Veneered keepsake box (why i like my bandsaw)

Howdy,

Here's a keepsake box for a relative who's having some health issues (getting better fortunately).

Shop cut veneers (sycamore, holly, cherry, mahogany, ebony) used for the top, walnut and maple box. Shellac and wax finish.

Thanks for looking,
    C
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's some very fine work. Excellent !

Blog Entries
    Really nice work.

Very nice work, impressive.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks all. Should note that I found Craig Vandal Steven's book really helpful for sorting out the double bevel marquetry:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fine-Art-M...ords=marquetry

Perhaps the best tip was how to angle the drill bit when drilling pilot holes so that the hole is left in the waste for both the insert piece and background.

Nice box Christopher,I really need to do more marquetry,Thanks for the inspiration. Do you mind if i ask how long have you had your aggazzani and how do you like it?

I like it!!

I've had it since 2008 and would very seriously consider the same purchase again even though big bandsaws have become all the rage. In other words no regrets at all.

C

Thanks for the reply Christopher,I too have a aggazzani saw i am still using the 1'' woodmaster blade.Thinking of getting something for back up with more tpi.Have you any suggestions on blades you like or should i call Jesse?

I've used several blades and use 1/2" lenox bimetal 3 tpi for nearly everything except cutting veneer w/ the 1". Best place was called woodcraft blades (i think) in north carolina.

Glad to hear you also like your ag

C

Just checked and its woodcraft bands.. I got 3 for around $100, which was almost 1/2 elsewhere and about thr same price as woodslicers. I found the woodslicers good but only for v short periods.

C