Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Dust gorilla vs Pro 2000

Super Dust gorilla vs Pro 2000

I am looking at the 5hp dust gorilla and the Pro 2000, but can't figure out what the difference is, other than filter sensor and diy duct design. Oh, and different paint. Are those the only differences? is there any performance gain for the pro version? I don't need to use the diy design, so spending $100 on a filter sensor is all i'd be getting. Thanks in advance for any help.

The inlet of the Pro is rectangular as opposed to circular on the gorilla. The rectangular inlet is supposed to be 'better'. They both quote a 'neutral vane' inlet which just means the inlet dumps right into the cyclone body without an air ramp (Pentz).

Previously I had researched the differences back and forth, but I don't think I have seen any defacto separator performance between the two.

-Brian

Doesn't the Pro have a longer warranty?

When I looked into them both (3 hp models), the difference was the sensor, as well as the warranty as Thad mentioned above.

Joe

113 CFM increase in the pro

Ask Oneida about any cyclone design differences. If both units have the same impeller- and I think they do- and the same filter, any cfm difference is due to design efficiencies in one cyclone over the other. Oneida will tell you which is better at chips and which is better at fine dust. The difference is likely to be subtle here. They used to put different size filters in the two units but that seems to have changed. Dave

Difference in the models

If you click on the "Specs" tab and download the specification sheet for each, in the lower left corner of page 3 you will see the fan performance curve. You will see they have significantly different performance at higher system pressure drops, with the Pro winning out.

I tried to upload them here but they exceeded the ~150kb size limitation for PDF files.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Hi John

I wouldn't get to hung up on the specs quoted by any of the manufacturers. There is no standard industry wide method of measuring. So comparisons between manufacturers is useless.

Even the specs presented by a manufacturer may not agree with what that same manufacturer presents elsewhere on their own website. I know you are looking at a 5 hp unit, but just for fun take a look at the specs for the 3 hp super gorilla.

Under the dust collection and components section, stationary subsection, The specs. sheet for the 3 hp model S.G. shows 1554 cfm at 1.8" of static pressure.
    Under the dust collection and components section, comparative advantage subsection for the 3 hp S.G., the specs show 1713 cfm at 2" of static pressure.

I would Assume the 1554 at 1.8" is correct which is also shown in the fan curve chart. The fan curve chart shows approx 1500 cfm at 2". If this assumption is correct, then the comparison advantage stat is off about 200 cfm. Maybe a diffrence in the filter cartridge ? If a manufacturer has stats posted on their website that differ this much for the same machine, how would you know if the stats presented for diffrent models are reliable or measured in the same way ?

my .02

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Baranowski View Post
    I am looking at the 5hp dust gorilla and the Pro 2000, but can't figure out what the difference is, other than filter sensor and diy duct design. Oh, and different paint. Are those the only differences? is there any performance gain for the pro version? I don't need to use the diy design, so spending $100 on a filter sensor is all i'd be getting. Thanks in advance for any help.
    John,

I suggest you call Oneida and talk to them about the different machines. They are very easy people to talk to and deal with.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by robert morrison View Post
    Hi John

I wouldn't get to hung up on the specs quoted by any of the manufacturers. There is no standard industry wide method of measuring. So comparisons between manufacturers is useless.
    With many of the DC manufacturers, I would agree with you...but this one publishes fan curves which are a standard way of measuring performance as you've noted. Oneida has generally been reliable with their system performance reporting.
    -----

The differences between these two machines may be with intended purpose and the performance expected for that environment, so I agree with the advise to contact Oneida to discuss in detail. Some of their units are designed to have better performance with certain types of tools, for example, that are found in more automated shops, such as CNC where often the collection ports are smaller and require good performance at higher SP. Others have refinements in the intake design to eek a little more overall performance from the system...ideal for the larger shop, for example.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    With many of the DC manufacturers, I would agree with you...but this one publishes fan curves which are a standard way of measuring performance as you've noted. Oneida has generally been reliable with their system performance reporting.
    -----

The differences between these two machines may be with intended purpose and the performance expected for that environment, so I agree with the advise to contact Oneida to discuss in detail. Some of their units are designed to have better performance with certain types of tools, for example, that are found in more automated shops, such as CNC where often the collection ports are smaller and require good performance at higher SP. Others have refinements in the intake design to eek a little more overall performance from the system...ideal for the larger shop, for example.

The problem is no one knows what conditions the curves were developed under. I.E. clean filters, no filters, inlet duct, etc. These are performance curves and not fan curves. AMCA fan curves are developed under standard conditions for all fan manufacturers as set forth by AMCA. You are correct CNC machines need a lot more SP due to the tight enclosures and hosing inside the machines. I would also agree that Oneida should be able to provide guidance on the collector they would recommend for the application.

Mike

Oneida's curves are on the working system.

John,

I agree with others here that comparing curves between manufacturers may be deceiving based upon different testing conditions. Further I would not question some manufacturers specs being due to the "miracle of modern marketing". That said...

Oneida is a very well-known and respected vendor of dust collectors. You inquired as to the differences between the Oneida Super Dust Gorilla and the Oneida Pro 2000 dust collectors. Despite the nay-sayers here, given Oneida's reputation I maintain that comparing the fan curves of these two Oneida DC's shows that the Pro would outperform the Gorilla in at least most real-world usage. This was your question.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Thanks for all the input everyone. I appreciate it. I put the known data into excel, and the curves for the two machines are identical for the portions that Oneida posts data. The SDG does not show data for the higher SP values, so there is no way to compare the two in that data range. I would imagine they are not that different.

John, there is no magic here. The same impeller in the same housing with the same filters will perform the same except for a slight difference due to the cyclone design. That difference won't affect your decision. More important is which cyclone design separates the type of dust you will typically generate. If you verify the impellers are indeed the same it is the cyclone design you should inquire about. If the system curves look much different you should inquire as to why. Likely they were developed with different tests or different filters. Their curves tend to be optimistic so just factor that in and remember a flatter curve is better than a steep one. The steeper the curve the less room for error and additional resistance becomes an airflow killer. Dave