Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Turnings On A Website

Selling Turnings On A Website

I would like to try to market my turnings, but the opportunity is so limited. I am considering making my own website. For those of you that have made your own, what is the software or method you used to create it and is it worth the hastle and cost?

Moderators: Maybe this is off topic. Please feel free to move it if you desire.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Rich,
    There are several free websites out there. They provide a basic layout and tech assistance. I have a website using Weebly. I've been happy with them.

+ on the Weebly site. Very east to use and I still use the free version. I have to pay a little to use my domain name (.com)
    Fred

I used "Sitespinner" software, it was not free but not very expensive. I have not really sold stuff through the web site but it is useful to have for potential customers to look at. Often they see something and want a piece that is similiar.

A timely topic, for me

I'm in the middle of building my first website right now. I used to have a very poor excuse for a site on an iWeb page which is very limited, or at least was for me. Perhaps fortunately (in my case), Apple is about to deep-six iWeb along with any pages still out there, so I set out to build a 'real' one myself.

I'm not a computer illiterate but had never really concerned myself with the intricacies of web site building. For what seemed like the first couple of weeks, I sat staring at the screen, scratching my head, and googling a bunch of acronyms. What I slowly figured out was that I needed to either find a free or subscribe to a web host whose server would 'house' and 'deliver' my site, pick and subscribe to a domain name, choose and become familiar with a content management system to allow publishing and editing and maintaining my site, and then either build one myself or use a template compatible with the content management system to actually build the site.

For no particular good reasons, I ended up with DreamHost as shared server and Joomla as the CMS. I was bound and determined to stay away from GoDaddy as the host for a number of reasons.

The first couple of weeks went real slow, a lot of trial and error in trying to figure out how to get things to work and how each interacted between each other. But fairly quickly after the 'crawling' stage, things began to illuminate and soon I was (and still am) cooking on my new site and building the heck out of the thing. My site is not a 'selling' site, i.e.-one that people can make purchases directly, but more like a 'Wood Wisperer' site, one that hopefully after people explore and have some fun with, they'll be motivated to come to my location (or call) and buy. I'll have an 'online store' section but sales would need to be either over the phone or in person. In other words, not an actual ecommerce site.

There are all kinds of deals out there with respects to the web hosts, from 'free' to quite expensive. The Content Management Systems are free and you can find free templates as well. I'm fairly happy in that this whole thing is only going to cost $69 for the first year which includes the host and the domain name and subscription. One reason I opted for DreamHost was that there is a coupon for the first year AND they have something like an 89 day money back period. Now that my site's up and cooking though, I'm pretty sure I won't be canceling.

Here's one problem that I see myself as having now. I'm so proud of myself for building my site up and getting it up and running but I can see myself CONSTANTLY editing and adding and changing, and, and, and... It's actually a lot of fun and rewarding.

Good luck to you, stick with it, the learning curve's a bit tough in the beginning but then it becomes almost a 'piece of cake' once you get going on it.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Have you considered starting off with something like Etsy?

Don't get me wrong, I think a static web page where you can put up examples of work and the like are great, but I believe I would personally link to something like Etsy for the sales.

Of course, this is from extremely limited experience, so if anyone has used these types of sites...what are your thoughts?

Putting up a website is the easy part. Marketing it is the real issue.

I would also suggest esty.com and I would start out with a Wordpress site to show your work you could also accept orders. If you go with an e commerce site there will be more money involved.
    Thank You
    Ed

There are several craft/sales websites like Etsy and Firemountain that are geared toward bringing customers to your "store". I think I'd try that first.

And then if you set up your own website, point it toward your store on the craft website.

I've had several sales on Etsy, but I'm too lazy to keep stuff posted on there.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

The one thing that has stopped me from trying to sell my turnings via a web site is knowing how important the bowls 'feel' to the customer is when making a sale. Can't do that on the internet.

robo hippy

my experience is this: turnings are tactile..people want to see & feel them in person. No website/etsy site can do that. i knew i was doing well, when folks wanted to feel & pick up my vessels & when they said..ooohhh, this is so smooth.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

+1 on the touch. That really pleases folks to do that, from my limited experience. I've toyed with the idea of a website, not so much as a point of sale, but to let folks see variety, etc. And, I'm still thinking of creating a website, just because. It's not gonna do anything for me outside my area, but it does give something for folks to look at, and it can be used by folks more local to me to make immediate contact with me.

I too struggle with utilizing a web site to sell my items.

I have discovered as well (as stated by Michelle) that wood items, especially turned pieces NEED to be touched, this can not be done on any web site. I have had a site up and running for about 2 years now (Rapidweaver) and have not had a sale associated with the site.

Having said that I have had perspective purchasers suggest that if my site was to include Paypal it would have a better chance to sell. I looked at Etsy but really didn't want to get into anything where there were monthly costs.

So to sum up my experience would seem to indicated that unless you are selling mass produced low value wood turnings a Site should be more about you and examples of your work focused on bringing people to you, your studio or your gallery.

I am gradually going away from posting pictures of every items I turn and instead just planning to utilize the site to show 'examples' of my work in the hope that some interest will be generated.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Pete I'm in agreement with you on this. I have made a couple of sales from my web site, but they have contacted me after seeing my product there. Most people like to see and fondle the merchandise. I pass out business cards at craft sales and I suspect that is where I get most of my hits from. I like to meet the customers in person and really enjoy direct selling as to internet sales.
    Fred

Your info says you are in Michigan but also Green Bay, Wis. Not sure if you would qualify but there is a program in Wisconsin to help businesses get online -- http://www.gyboDOTcom/wisconsin/ This offers help setting up your websit and also hosting for the first year if I remember correctly. Might be worth checking it out.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Was just looking at the free website page. It looks like this works in other states too. Just check www.gyboDOTcom and you can enter your state. It is a partnership between Google & Intuit.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe