Thread: Question for MM16 owners with blade tension gauges

Question for MM16 owners with blade tension gauges

Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago I got my new MM16 and got a bunch of blades with it. I ended up installing a 1/2 blade, carbon steel I assume and tightened it up by feel. Did some cuts and was very happy. One of the blades I got was a Lennox carbide blade so I figured I should get a tension gauge so I don't wreck my expensive blade. Ordered one from Iturra. I put the gauge on and tensioned it up to 15,000 psi turned the saw on and the blade flopped all over. So I tightened it up to around 35,000 psi and the blade did great. Iturra says blades are usually tensioned between 15,000 and 30,000 psi. Seems weird to tension a half inch carbon blade this much. Am I worrying about nothing? It seems that the MM can stretch this 1/2 blade without any effort. Is this saw just that pumped up??

Also thought I might be reading the gauge incorrectly. On the gauge it says to multiply reading by 1000 and the graduations go 10, 20, 30....all the way to 90. So I figure this gauge could read to 90,000 psi. I noticed the dial indicator does not match the one shown in the FWW test on bladsaw blades, so I may have an updated or different design.

Thanks in advance for the help
    Jason

Yes, your MM16 can really crank up the tension--you have a very strong and stiff spine and a rack and pinion gear system working for you. I run the 1" carbide blade at between 25k and 30K PSI based on the Ittura guage. The 1/2" Timberwolf AS that is on the machine right now is running at about 15-18K PSI. (I don't check it each time as I marked the factory "guage"...but it's up above the 1" mark on that!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

I run about 20 to 25K on the Trimaster....based on the gauge on the saw...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Yes, your MM16 can really crank up the tension--you have a very strong and stiff spine and a rack and pinion gear system working for you. I run the 1" carbide blade at between 25k and 30K PSI based on the Ittura guage. The 1/2" Timberwolf AS that is on the machine right now is running at about 15-18K PSI. (I don't check it each time as I marked the factory "guage"...but it's up above the 1" mark on that!)
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Jason, I use a 1/2" woodslicer on my MM16 tensioned to 25K with the Iturra tension meter. I can take 1/16" veneer easily at that tension. If I run less tension the cut suffers.
    Dennis

Another question

Ok guys,

Thanks that's a relief. Good to know I am in the proper ballpark. On a related note what is the proper way to read the gauge on the machine (bandsaw)? The marker is so fat and the space so tight between the graduations for the different blade widths to you try to read the top, center, or bottom of the pointer which isnt' pointed at all. Guess that's why I got the gauge from Iturra.

Dennis, do you find it doesn't take hardly any turns of the tension crank to get to the psi you need? Must be a corse thread huh?? I expected to be turning it like on the 14" bandsaws.

Thanks again
    Jason