Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recently Completed Projects

Recently Completed Projects

Attached (hopefully) are photos of two recently completed projects and one that is still in progress. This was a victory of sorts for me, since moving to our new (to us) house several months back I lost my shop space and with a new baby in the house I haven't had time to make the necessary upgrades to the garage. So I have been improvising, using basement space and wherever I work to fit in some woodworking. This summer I will hopefully find time and $$$ to get the adequate electricity and storage in the garage so I can once again have shop space.

The first project is a bench for our living room. I created a pattern from mdf for the legs, rough cut each on the bandsaw and then pattern routed using the template. The maple "shoes" on each leg were shaped using a sanding belt. The rails (supports) are made from figured maple and joined to the legs with M&T. The top is solid cherry with a leather upholstered cushion - this was a first for me and I learned quite a bit doing it. The finish is four coats of BLO, buffed out and then a coat of was was applied.

The second project is a game board made using marquetry and veneering. One side is a chess and checker board made from birds-eye maple and walnut burl veneer, with an inlay strip and madrone burl border. The flip-side is a serving tray with a marquetry pattern on walnut burl.

The last photo is the top for a box, next to some quilted maple which will be the body of the box, which was supposed to be my wife's christmas present, then her birthday present (January) and then a valentine's day present. I think she's given up on it so I will just suprise her when its finally done.

Thanks for looking,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elegant design and great execution. Lovely work.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Very nice indeed.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I am thrilled to see such fine work... Well Done!!!!!!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

excellent job. I think that something was missing in your discription on the finish,

"The finish is four coats of BLO, buffed out and then a coat of was was applied." What is the "was" in this sentence?

thanks lou

Beautiful work! Great designs....love it! Probably paste "was"
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

OUTSTANDING, Roger! I love all three projects, especially the bench. Sharp design and great execution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Your work is really beautiful, but I have to agree with Jim - that bench is awesome.

Roger,

All of your work is absolutely beautiful. I'm particularly drawn to your skills in marquetry. The design and execution are realy a work of art. Thanks for sharing.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Excellent work, and that box is certainly worth waiting for. I love the marquetry and the way the design expands past the inlay border! Beautiful!!
    Roger

This is some great work! If you are doing work this good with a limited shop, I want to see it when you get your shop set up!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Awesome Roger! I love the design & execution of the bench. If you can get that much done with a new baby & a move, you're a better man that I!

Beautiful work! Marquetry is on my list of things to one day try. Do you resaw your own veneers? Do you use a scroll saw?

Mark

Roger - they all look fantastic!! I'm with Roger - I like the way the inlays creep outside of the their box. - ala "Bob Ross" style (the guy with the 'fro who oil painted on PBS). Todd

Wow, nice work! Three great looking projects.
    Corey