Thread: am i the only one?

Question am i the only one?

i started working on a new piece

i had a lot of time in trying to figure out how to do this new idea that i finally had the nerver to try

(it is a multi-dimensional lamination )

working on it last night and got too far down in to he bottom of it
    had a catch and it exploded across the shop
    bad daysm.jpg

so me being me i found all of the missing parts and got the glue bottle out and started putting it back together
    bad day fixedsm.jpg
    it will be far from perfect but i want the first piece of this to survive

just curious if you guys do things like this as well?

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    I do the same ... usually, but its a mistake. 75% of the time the result will be lacking. As I see it, there are two possible situations:
    If you turn a lot, you will replace the piece quickly by restarting. If you turn much less than you'd like to (insert "like me"), you might as well spend your time on worthwhile pieces.
    The wood you use is a similar issue - its usually better to start with good wood as "saving a piece" is in fact spending valuable time on a piece with lower chances of going all the way.
    Some may disagree.

Nope... don't do glue-ups! Unfortunate this happened but looks like you saved it. Looking forward to seeing the piece once finished. Very interesting pattern/design!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I haven't glued up a broken piece, although I have rough turned a piece and spent some time trying to manipulate the warping and cracking.

Blog Entries
    I've blown up segmented turnings that I still haven't found all the pieces from. I hope you are wearing a face shield and not just safety glasses. SG's won't stop a broken jaw. Turn often but turn safely.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I've blown up segmented turnings that I still haven't found all the pieces from. I hope you are wearing a face shield and not just safety glasses. SG's won't stop a broken jaw. Turn often but turn safely.
    actually when this happened i was hollowing from the side totally out of the way

(the better thing with it was my shop is shared with my 1968 camaro and that was outside at the time it happened )

Nope you aren't the only one. If they blow they go in the trash can.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've glued two back together. One was a piece of wood that was significant to my son. The other was a prototype and it didn't matter if it came out perfect. I learned enough to make the next one better. In addition to those two that were actually blown up I have used minor amounts of glue for the occasional design opportunity or save as i am sure we all have.

well here is the final piece

i have nicknamed it humpty

bad day fixed finalsm.jpg

i think it turned out pretty good

Wow Chris, that is incredible!