Thread: Polyurethane over cyanoacrylate

Polyurethane over cyanoacrylate

Any concerns about doing this? Will the CA ruin the polyurethane? How will it handle exposure to light over time? I have some minor cracks in the piece, and thought water thin CA would be a good way to help fix it, then finish off with Minwax wipe on polyurethane over the top.

I don't/haven't used poly on furniture; I don't think you will have any issues.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I have used poly on furniture.....sideboard and entertainment center. Why? Because it was readily available. I haven't used it over CA.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

When in doubt, test!

CA is glue and dries/cures pretty quickly. I'm not sure why there would be any issue.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Good question...
    I honestly don't know what will happen to either the poly or the CA.

I do know that some turners use CA as a finish & some custom knife makers finish the scales (handles) with CA.
    Maybe one or the other of them will have an answer based on their experience.

It'll work fine. I've used a poly over CA several times on some turned bowls, and it worked fine.

The only concern is the same concern with almost any common glue...anywhere the glue touches will not accept stain of any kind, and will not darken at all when you apply the finish. When you're done fixing, apply some mineral spirits/alcohol/naphtha/whatever to the area. If it looks good, you're good....if there are areas that look very different, that's where the glue residue is and that needs to come off. Thin CA especially can soak into the surrounding wood, very deeply depending on species. What I suggest you do is before fixing anything, give the area a good coat of shellac as a sealer. When you're done, sand it back to the wood and you'll have no problems.