Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

Unhappy New to the forum

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading a lot of things on this site and seems like there are a lot of very knowledgeable woodworkers hear. Well I just purchase a Powermatic 15 inch HH planer but after reading on this forum it seems everyone is down on PM and it's giving me a little buyers remorse. I know they are over priced but I thought that with the Byrd HH installed on it you could probably spend close to the same amount buying a grizzly and retrofitting a Byrd cutter on it. My thinking was to try to buy machines that I wouldn't want to try to sell to get something better later. Well the PM gets delivered on Friday I hope I can enjoy it even though I feel a little upset after reading all of the bad things on the forum.
    Last edited by Stan Rogo; 06-20-2012 at 8:04 PM.

I have a PM2000 Tablesaw and am very happy with it. I am sure you will get many years of good use from your planer.

First forget most of what you read not everyone is down on Powermatic, the most vocal PM hater has never owned a PM machine...

Second, in this market you buy the machine not the manufacturer and PM makes some of the standout machines.

Third, the 15HH is a standard 4 post planer BUT you do get some extras for your extra dollars. You get a machine made in Taiwan which has better fit/finish and cosmetics than the 4 post planers made in China, it has a Byrd head which uses a shear cut and many including Fine Wood Working feel this give a better finish than straight cutters in some of the imported journal heads. You also spent a chunk of your money on something built in the US and supported our economy. You also got a 5 year warranty which is up to 5 times as long as the one provided by some of the other importers.

Finally, The biggest legit gripe against the current PM is that it doesn't offer the best value, this is true depending on your budget an expectations. PM is not as good now as when the machines were made in the US, then again they aren't priced like machines made in the US. In my eyes the 15HH is a fine machine and has positives not shared by some of the other import machines. They are certainly not the cheapest Asian imports but many of their machines are arguably the best in their Asian class.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Hi Stan,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.
    I have a Powermatic 15HH Planer. Bought it new in 2009. It's been fine, No complaints.

Half of my shop is Powermatic and I'm happy with them. They've performed well. No regrets.

For future tool purchases I'll seriously consider Powermatic, based on the good luck I've had with them so far.

PHM

Thanks for the positive replies. By the way since you brought up the warranty the model I bought was the 90th anniversity which comes with a 90 month warranty. It was the same price as the regular HH model but with the 90th anniversity model you get extended warranty, a digital readout height adjustment , and a PM floor mat. I would really like to buy machine completely made in the USA but I dont know if there is such a machine. Thx stan

PM to my knowledge has a good reputation. The only reason most of my tools aren't PM is because of price. As a hobbiest I can't justify spending twice as much for a tool that I don't use every day. Thus I have some Jet and some Grizzly that I don't expect to see the same fit and finish but I paid 1/2 the price for those tools versus the PM counterpart.

My PM-3520B has been a great lathe.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Rogo View Post
    I would really like to buy machine completely made in the USA but I dont know if there is such a machine. Thx stan
    Sure, Northfield will be happy to sell you a all US made planer, their smallest is 18" (model #2) and the prices for it start just north of $19,000. Just call them up and ask to speak to Jeff.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Stan, you did fine. There are really only three main subsets of machinery types, Asian, European, and old USA. Old USA or old euro are a hobby within a hobby as you need to enjoy rehabbing, sourcing parts etc. The payoff is huge but not for everyone. You bought a better quality Asian with a great head. Get to know how the machine works and don't be afraid to set it up well, adjust the pressure rollers and whatever else it has, make sure the cutterhead is parallel to the base, put adequate dust collection on it and it will outperform any machine that isn't set up correctly, and most aren't. Study what you like and dislike and the knowledge gained will serve you well. I have some pretty high end stuff and there isn't a machine I haven't modified and everyone could stand some more improvement. Dave

Most of PM's lineup is well made. I don't care for their drill press, but everything else I can think of off the top of my head is very nice, even today. I generally find them to be poor values so I don't recommend them (except their lathes, which are right in the mix and quite popular with serious turners). You definitely shouldn't feel bad for having bought a Powermatic. It's a good, solid machine that will give you many years of trouble free service.

You only have to please yourself in your shop. If you are fine with what you paid then the value is moot. It should work just fine for you.

I've had my PM 66 tablesaw for over 10 years and it's never disappointed me. I'm sure their planer is a good machine. No need for any remorse. Welcome to the forum!

I would really like to buy machine completely made in the USA but I dont know if there is such a machine. Thx stan
    Then you are talking "Old arn".
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading a lot of things on this site and seems like there are a lot of very knowledgeable woodworkers hear. Well I just purchase a Powermatic 15 inch HH planer but after reading on this forum it seems everyone is down on PM and it's giving me a little buyers remorse. I know they are over priced but I thought that with the Byrd HH installed on it you could probably spend close to the same amount buying a grizzly and retrofitting a Byrd cutter on it. My thinking was to try to buy machines that I wouldn't want to try to sell to get something better later. Well the PM gets delivered on Friday I hope I can enjoy it even though I feel a little upset after reading all of the bad things on the forum.

Powermatic doesn't advertise on this forum, therefore complaints about it are not deleted.
    Other companies advertise here, so negative stuff about them is deleted.
    It skews the reality.. Really, this is not a good site for vendor reviews.
    I can understand why the mods run it this way (they have to make money), but just a caveat.

I am sure your Powermatic planer will be fine. I have the Jet 20 inch helical and I totally love it (Jet and Powermatic made by the same company although there are probably differences in the specific machine.).
    When you buy from any company, you run the risk of getting something not 100% right, but most companies will take care of you and make it right.

Get excited about your new tool coming it.. I am pretty confident you will love it.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-21-2012 at 2:48 PM.

Hi Stan,

Welcome to the Creek. I am another one that likes Powermatic. I have a Powermatic table saw and lathe. Both are great machines. Just one thing to remember, no photo's, did not happen...

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    Powermatic doesn't advertise on this forum, therefore complaints about it are not deleted.
    Other companies advertise here, so negative stuff about them is deleted.
    It skews the reality.. Really, this is not a good site for vendor reviews.
    I can understand why the mods run it this way (they have to make money), but just a caveat.
    Paul, your statement is absolutely untrue. Whether or not a company advertises here has absolutely nothing to do with a thread gets edited, moved or deleted. The usual cause of a rant thread getting moved is due to the uncivil, incoherent, illogical, unfair attack on a manufacturer. Realistic complaints about any manufacturer can be discussed at SMC as long as the thread meets the guidlines established by Keith Outten in this post:
    Before You Rant Read This
    December 20th, 2010

"It is the intent of SMC to permit the airing of concerns regarding the suitability of a particular product, or the quality or sufficiency of customer service provided by a vendor in any particular instance provided there is not a breach of contract component involved.

However, these rant types of threads often deteriorate into a "piling on" and develop a very negative tone. That doesn't assist other viewers in assessing the overall advisability of whether to buy this particular product, nor to assess the overall customer service provided by that manufacturer/vendor.

In order to be fair to the many vendors that provide woodworking products who are not represented here, the following policies will be in force:
    The original poster must have first contacted the manufacturer/vendor and have attempted a solution PRIOR to posting the thread.
    The original poster should provide factual details of the problem, and details of efforts that have been made with the manufacturer/vendor to rectify the problem.
    Subsequent posts by others must be limited to suggestions to the original poster to assist in rectifying the problem - not to pile on because you had similar problems.

SMC is a woodworking forum. The intended purpose is to provide a community in which useful information may be shared among our members. Threads that do not achieve that purpose will be locked, or removed as necessary." SawMill Creek is not a Court of Law and we are not in a position to judge a breach of contract case here, therefore SawMill Creek will not become a stage or a courtroom for a one sided legal dispute, it just isn't our mission.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-02-2011 at 4:46 PM.

Secondly, Moderators don't have to make money. We are unpaid, invited volunteers.

I don't have a clue where you got this misinformation.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....