Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Expanding Table

Extreme Expanding Table

I found an online video of a really cool table the will "slide out" to accommodate a number of extensions. The table can be expanded from ~2' to ~10' in length. I'd like to build something similar but need to find a source for the telescoping slides, or a substitute. Any ideas?

Video of the table: http://www.resourcefurniture.com/spa...tables/goliath

6-22-2012 2-05-45 PM.png6-22-2012 2-06-59 PM.jpg

that's pretty cool although you'd still have to find space to store the extensions.

Could make them from wood. Perhaps not as slick or smooth operating, but doable.

You can also "daisy chain" a bunch of shorter ballbearing slides together with either direct riveted connections or wood block spacers to screw-into.

There was an article in FWW some years ago, Steve Lash was the builder. If I recall correctly, it even had support legs that came down to support the leaves.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Thanks guys. I found some pictures of the Lash table. Can't find the article though. Looks like he may have used standard drawer slides. Click image below to magnify.

zoom_35944_tablezoom.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    There was an article in FWW some years ago, Steve Lash was the builder. If I recall correctly, it even had support legs that came down to support the leaves.
    Issue 98 (Feb 1993) page 85.
    Last edited by Harold Burrell; 06-23-2012 at 3:59 PM.

Thomas, my current project is a dining table similar to what you describe. Normally the table will be 34" X 5' 2", but it will extend to 14' 2" to seat 16 people. The top part of the table which is eleven 15 ½" wide (solid, not glued up) cherry boards 34" long with walnut inlay on the four corners of table. The apron and cherry inlayed tapered legs will be made of walnut. All the wood was cut from a tornado damaged tree in the woods on my farm.

The table slides are 48" when contracted and 168" when expanded for a opening of 120" for the leaves. They are available at Osborne Wood Products for $140 per pair. http://www.osbornewood.com/product/9061.cfm They are well made and slide smoothly but they need to be finish sanded. Normally four legs will support the table but when expanded two more legs will fold down to support middle.

Moin Hardware has metal Watertown slides about this length for $443. I am a wood guy, so for me metal slides just don't get it. http://www.moinhardware.com/page15/p...detail7_page15

I have posted a thread on the finish; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...inish-Question
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 06-23-2012 at 11:21 PM.

how about extendable scaffold planks?
    http://www.funnotic.com/product/Alum...ble-Plank.html
    Carpe Lignum

Thanks guys. This is EXACTLY what I needed!

Jerry, that table is absolutely gorgeous. And the wood slides are certainly affordable (especially compared to metal). My only concern is whether they slide smoothly. Since you confirmed they do, I think I'll give them a go. Thanks again.

For posterity, I found an article by Jeremaih de Rham on Extension Tables that includes details about how to build wooden dovetail table slides.

The article can be found here: http://www.finewoodworking.com/Plans...F.aspx?id=2160

Thomas, Thank you for the complement on my table top. You will not be disappointed with the wooden slides from Osborn Wood Products. I will post my table when it is done.

I have an expanding table that uses wooden dovetail slides. It uses a foot in the center and pulls out from each end.

The extension leaves are stored in a custom cabinet for the purpose - like a vertical CD case where you slide each into an individual slot.

A LOT of people ask about it - because when its extended its about 12ft long (can seat 24 4 year olds at a bday party), and when compressed its about 3.5 Ft (a very nice kitchen table size).

I have some pics and will see if I can get them posted......

Here is a rather meager attempt at a picture from under the table.

You see a middle leg - so the table actually has 5 legs. These wooden extensions slide out in both directions from the center leg. This gives support when you have another 8 segments added to it.

Picture1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    that's pretty cool although you'd still have to find space to store the extensions.
    Years ago my in-laws had a similar, 'hidden' table. It looked like a simple sideboard sitting against the wall, with a vase on it. On holidays when the gang assembled, the front face telescoped out about 8 feet. The leaves were folded in 1/2, widthwise, and stored standing on edge inside the sideboard. Also inside were a couple tee-topped support legs that spanned between the rails - needed, due the the length of the extensions! It was really handy, but MAN was it a BEAR to have to move anywhere!