Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Delta unisaw price reasonable?

Is the Delta unisaw price reasonable?

I was looking for a new table saw to upgrade my current one. Found two Delta unisaws with model 36-953 at local CL. One is new in box and the other is slightly used. Both were bought in 2009. The prices are $1400, $1000, respectively. Both come with Biesemeyer fence system, no mobile base. Which one is a better choice? Is the price acceptable? The followings are the pictures of the used one: Thanks for comments.

Last edited by will smith; 06-22-2012 at 2:33 PM.

If it were me, I'd go for the $1000 one that isn't still "new in the box". Neither are going to have a warranty, and the "new in the box" one could have some unknown issue. If the used one checks out (acceptably flat table, acceptable run out on the arbor, runs well, and so forth), it seems like a very good deal and the fact that it has had some use suggests that any "factory defects" would have already been found. Also, given the environment it appears to be in from the pictures, I doubt it has had significant enough use to be concerned about any shortened life.

If you're willing to pay the price for either one, they are worth it.
    If you think they are a deal, they are. Likewise if you think they are over-priced, they are.

I could have sat here saying, "BUY ONE, buy one, buy one. But I won't.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    The one you can see. May be a bit over priced, all depends on your local.
    I wouldn't pay 1400 for one in the box.

I am not sure I want the one in the box, unless the price was much lower, you can't inspect it, it could be a lemon in the box with no recourse. I would feel more comfortable at about $800 for the "used" one. But as Myk mentioned you have to decide what is right for you in YOUR areas used market.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

deal or no deal, hard to say

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    If you're willing to pay the price for either one, they are worth it.
    If you think they are a deal, they are. Likewise if you think they are over-priced, they are.

I could have sat here saying, "BUY ONE, buy one, buy one. But I won't.
    Last edited by will smith; 06-22-2012 at 6:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    The one you can see. May be a bit over priced, all depends on your local.
    I wouldn't pay 1400 for one in the box.
    Why not? 1400 for a new in the box unisaw? That seems like super deal to me.

BTW what is up with the variation between the extension wing and the rails on the one in the pictures you posted?

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Just my $.02 I think about $1000 for either one of those saws is a fair price. And only then if they were complete and in good shape. For the one out of the box I'm not seeing a fence, one of the table legs seems to be laying on the floor, Insert plate is missing.

I try to buy used tools at a 50% discount. The are both for all practical purposes used tools (No warranty, No options, Have to move them yourself).

I like the saws, I have one a lot like that but mines a little older.

Good luck with it.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    BTW what is up with the variation between the extension wing and the rails on the one in the pictures you posted?
    That's how they are with a Biesmeyer front rail Van. The front rail extends past the wing on the left side and past the table on the right side so if the fence was all the way to one side or the other of the saw the fence would still be well supported.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    That's how they are with a Biesmeyer front rail Van. The front rail extends past the wing on the left side and past the table on the right side so if the fence was all the way to one side or the other of the saw the fence would still be well supported.

PHM
    I should have been clear, it looks like the extension doesn't run parallel with the rail, it seems to rise up near the end of the front rail, may just be the pic.

I went to check today. The saw has not been used for a while. The missing fence and insert plate were located in another corner of the garage. The cast iron is a little bit rusty but the seller said it could be cleaned easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Just my $.02 I think about $1000 for either one of those saws is a fair price. And only then if they were complete and in good shape. For the one out of the box I'm not seeing a fence, one of the table legs seems to be laying on the floor, Insert plate is missing.

I try to buy used tools at a 50% discount. The are both for all practical purposes used tools (No warranty, No options, Have to move them yourself).

I like the saws, I have one a lot like that but mines a little older.

Good luck with it.

PHM

I guess it depends what your area is like. As mentioned bot are used saws without warrenty. If there is anything wrong, Delta has been hard to get parts from lately. A new saw with warranty, riving knife, and better dust collection is about the same price as the NIB one.

Will
    FYI I sold my American made 10 year old Unisaw, with 52" fence last year for $1000.00 on C-list the first day listed. Was it under priced I don't know. Tom

Looks like he never finished putting it together. As Van said, the fence is not adjusted. I would check to see if the owner moved it around using the table, cause it is going uphill. It also looks hardly used. Since it is the preferable left tilt, I would offer him $800, certainly not over $900. I bought a nice 10 year old one, used lightly, for $700, and it had a mobile base.

Obviously, this owner is keeping the very rare red saw in the background.

Rick Potter