Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: huge score

huge score

So a couple weeks ago my uncle gave me close to 1000 dollars worth of tools from were he works that they were going to throw out because they use cnc's for making signs now instead of using handheld routers. He got told to throw all the portable tools out and he asked if he could have them to give to me and they let him. He gave me a dewalt plunge router a dewalt trim router a porter cable biscuit jointer a ryobie trim router a craftsman trim router a old black and Decker router a a board with about 20 router bits in it a incra square a lock miter bit a set of marples chisels the good ones that were made in Sheffield England instead of china a set of 20 really good wood river router bits a set of 15 wood river forestner bits and a portable drill press. I only use to have one router and 8 bits for it so its been really nice having a different bit in each router and having all the bits that I need. The incra square has been great because I was able to find out that my old square was not really square and now everything I make fits better together. SO the one question that I have is that some of the rubber has cracked and fallen off the cord were it goes into the tool. I took the router apart so I could get a better look at the cord and it looked like it was OK but when I did that some of the rubber fell off the cord and the rubber below that looks like it is fine but I don't know if it is OK to use it like this or should I put a new cord on it which I don't know how to do. Even though I have 5 other router I would like if I was able to use this one and keep a chamfering bit in it.

Ryan,
    Your uncle did you a huge favor.
    On the crumbling rubber. I'm unclear whether you're problem is the sheath of the cord or a reinforcement where the cord enters the housing. If cord sheath, replace with serviceable cord. If a grommet or a strain relief, you can probably find a generic replacement at a well-stocked traditional hardware store (my local True Value has 'em). Or... since you're in the big city, there ought to be a tool repair center within driving range which has (or can get) the needed part.

BobV

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Wood View Post
    The incra square has been great because I was able to find out that my old square was not really square and now everything I make fits better together.

That's funny! Enjoy all those goodies!

That's great! Look's like your stable of tools just took a giant leap forward!

That is indeed a haul, can't beat free! YOU SUCK!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Wow, nice score! Remeber the old trick of checking a square - put it on the edge of a board with a straight edge and draw a line the full length, then flip the square over and draw another line. If they aren't parallel, the square is off.

Thanks its been great having all these new tools because I am able to do so much stuff that I never was able to before. About the cord I think that it is the strain relief and not the actual cord that is broken.Latter today I am going to go down to the hardware store and see if I can get a new one for it. Thanks that sounds like a great way to check if a square is realy square or not. I use to think that all squares were perfectly square and that i dident have to check if they were. I found out that the combination square I was using was almost a 1/4 of a inch off over 12 inches. When i get a new combination square I am going to do that test beore I buy it and end up with another unsquare square.

nice haul! you suck btw

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Wood View Post
    So the one question that I have is that some of the rubber has cracked and fallen off the cord were it goes into the tool. I took the router apart so I could get a better look at the cord and it looked like it was OK but when I did that some of the rubber fell off the cord and the rubber below that looks like it is fine but I don't know if it is OK to use it like this or should I put a new cord on it which I don't know how to do. Even though I have 5 other router I would like if I was able to use this one and keep a chamfering bit in it.
    It might be just the end of the cord just flexing a lot. I would just cut the cord back 8 inches then rewire it. It's something you won't be using much so just get some use and see how it runs. You can re cord it down the line.

When Menards or Ace hardware has a sale, lots of times they sell short extension cords really cheap. I buy several, and use them to replace bad cords on power tools.

+1 on the nice haul.

+2 on the you suck! LOL

thanks I dident have time last night to go get a new strain relief for the cord but I did try using it and found out that it works fine so I think that its not the cord that needs replacing. I like the idea of using an extension cord to replace a cord on a tool. I may have to do this on a old circular saw because the cord is cut a little and since that happend I havent used it but I would like to have second circular saw.

Blog Entries
    Congrats. Definitely worth a

Bill Murray You Suck.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Most times I am just happy for people when they have a gloat. This time, I am jealous of the router bits and Forstner bits. YOU SUCK !!!

I have used 5 of the bits out of that set and they all work realy nice and leave a nice smooth surface on the molding fot the desktop clock that I have been working on.