Thread: Finishing Nail Question

Finishing Nail Question

Hello Gentlemen,

I am embarking on a project to build a table for my Big Green Egg. The table will be made from cypress, but my question involves the nails. I am planning to use the "galvanized" finishing nails available from the local chain lumber store. The table will be well covered by a covered patio, but obviously here in South Louisiana we have high humidity to deal with during the summer months. Will these galvanized nails hold up to the elements?

Thanks for the help.

If you worried about the galvanized nails use stainless. I've pulled galvanized nails from lumber & found some rusted....The galvanize is not as good as it used to be.

If you use galvanized use hot dipped. The electroplated do not last.

Thanks guys. I bought the 15ga finishing nails at lowes and they state "galvanized" on the package..but I really do question it. Where can I purchase 15ga stainless finishing nails? I can tack it up using the galvanized and come back and finish nailing it later.

Thanks again

talk to someone that build boats and ask them where they buy their nails or screws

You didn't mention whether you're using a nail gun or individual nails/hammer. Either way, SS are easy to find.....check Amazon or Google.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I am using a 15ga air nailer

Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

S/S all the way - not even discussable!!

Ditto....what Jerry said. Galvanized these days simply means that the nail was manufactured in a facility where someone has scribbled galvanized on the wall somewhere within the confines....and yes, it's that bad. Suggest SS, but if you must use galvanized, use hot dipped.

I can tack it up using the galvanized and come back and finish nailing it later.
    Don't risk it.
    The galvanized may bleed rust stains onto the wood.
    Been there/done that & the rust stains are a real pain to deal with.

If Lowes doesn't stock them and you don't or can't wait for Amazon - Fastenal has 45 stores in La. and they stock SS 15 ga.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 06-24-2012 at 9:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    S/S all the way - not even discussable!!
    Word.

End of discussion.

Having just walked in the door out of SOLA (South LA) humidity I concur SS is the only way to go! 'Course with a swamp on the back and a river infront of my house humidity is even higher where I am than the average, which seems hard since over 100% humidity seems impossible...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks guys. Just ordered two sizes of stainless nails. You guys confirmed what my original thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Don't risk it.
    The galvanized may bleed rust stains onto the wood.
    Been there/done that & the rust stains are a real pain to deal with.

If Lowes doesn't stock them and you don't or can't wait for Amazon - Fastenal has 45 stores in La. and they stock SS 15 ga.
    If it is Amazon and not a 3rd party "associate", I usually get orders the next day or day after.