Thread: Which side of the shop should I mount a window unit?

Which side of the shop should I mount a window unit?

So I bought a 12K BTU, used, got it home, and most of the fins were crushed. My fault for not checking that out before I bought it. Using a putty knife (tried a fin comb), I managed to straighten most of them out. It blows pretty good for my 12 x 18 shop with bubble insulation.

I got to wondering though, after I put it in, should I have put it on the east side instead of the west side? Don't know if being in direct sunlight in the hottest part of the day makes a difference in efficiency or not.

Reason I ask is because the only way to turn it off is to unplug it. Well, I went to grab the plug today and it was way to hot. I'm sure there's a short somewhere. I'm probably going to buy a new one this time, but wanted to ask before I decided to cut another hole in the shop. It's a pole barn, so repairing the old hole is no big deal.

Thanks for the advice.

Plug was hot because of CHEAP recptical / plug it was plugged into. Spades weren't making a tight contact. Recpt. was most likely a forty nine cent special. rather than a spec grade recpt. North wall would be my preference. West wall is a killer as you are trying to dump heat into hottest side of shop.

Yeah Troy, when you plug it in, is it tight in the receptacle? If not, replace the receptacle. If so, you need to have that circuit checked. Could be you have a loose termination on the receptacle or some other issue.

Whatever is going on, it's a fire hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Plug was hot because of CHEAP recptical / plug it was plugged into. Spades weren't making a tight contact. Recpt. was most likely a forty nine cent special. rather than a spec grade recpt. North wall would be my preference. West wall is a killer as you are trying to dump heat into hottest side of shop.
    Bruce, you been pokin around my shop Yeah, it's a cheap one. Guess I should upgrade it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Yeah Troy, when you plug it in, is it tight in the receptacle? If not, replace the receptacle. If so, you need to have that circuit checked. Could be you have a loose termination on the receptacle or some other issue.

Whatever is going on, it's a fire hazard.
    It does have a tight fit, but I noticed when I pulled it out yesterday, it was a little discolored and had that burnt wire smell to it. It's the only plug on that circuit (20 amp) and the only thing I plug into it. Guess that's part of the reason the guy was selling it. My mistake for buying used. I'll double check the wiring in the receptacle and see if somethings loose. Seein how I wired it, there's a good chance something's loose.

You said you have to unplug it to turn it off? Makes me wonder if the people who used to own it just grabbed the cord to unplug it and have started to break the copper strands in the cord where it connects to the plug.

I'd thump down a few Washingtons to get a better quality 20A receptacle. You didn't say if it was 240V or 120V, but even if it was a 120V duplex I'd still get a 20A rated receptacle as that should have more copper inside it. If that doesn't help with the hot cord then replace the cord, maybe even going one size larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Turner View Post
    Bruce, you been pokin around my shop Yeah, it's a cheap one. Guess I should upgrade it.

It does have a tight fit, but I noticed when I pulled it out yesterday, it was a little discolored and had that burnt wire smell to it. It's the only plug on that circuit (20 amp) and the only thing I plug into it. Guess that's part of the reason the guy was selling it. My mistake for buying used. I'll double check the wiring in the receptacle and see if somethings loose. Seein how I wired it, there's a good chance something's loose.

If it's one of those cheap "back stab" outlets, you'll want to change it also. The only good back stab outlets are the type that you tighten the screw down on. Otherwise use the screw terminals where you loop the wire on it and tighten it down.

Alan's theory above is also valid. It could be the cord has issues.

Blog Entries
    I would write this off to a lesson learned and buy a new unit. Sounds like it has been abused by previous owner and may bring you grief. As to the original question, being a Texan I understand the heat you're talking about. I would mount on east or north side. A/C is only supposed to provide a 20 degree differential between inside and outside (I know it's almost always better than that but...) so if your tarting with west Texas air at 100 to 110 your theoretically only going to get 80 - 90 degrees in your shop.

I'm hoping it's just the cord and thought myself about replacing it. Going to move it over to the east side as the north wall has a sliding door, some storage lockers, and my lumber storage rack on it. I'll monitor the situation from there and probably upgrade the outlet just because. It's just a 110 so easy enough. I only turn it on while I'm in there so I'll be able to watch it.

Worst case scenario, I'm buying another one that'll probably solve all my problems...I'd be esstatic if I could get it down in the upper 80's - low 90's. Compared to outside, that would be comfortable.

Thanks again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    A/C is only supposed to provide a 20 degree differential between inside and outside (I know it's almost always better than that but...) so if your tarting with west Texas air at 100 to 110 your theoretically only going to get 80 - 90 degrees in your shop.
    Actually, the rule is that the AC should cool the air 20 degrees. So if the shop is 100, you will get 80 degree air, as the shop cools down, so will the temperature of the air the ac makes until you get to the set point. Remember these units do not bring in outside air they just recirc the inside air (not always the case) All theoretical of course - some do better than this.

Still a valid point though - there is a heat exchange taking place so the cooler the unit star, the better off you are.

If you can, mount where the sun isn't.'

Good luck.

If you can, mount where the sun isn't.'
    At the very least, put a reflective barrier around it. The stuff is cheap, and will keep the sun from heating it too much.

why not just replace your outlet with a 20 amp switched recepticle.

Pulling the plug for on/off just aint kosher..... as you'll throw sparks every time.

if that unit is running on a 110 outlet, you'll be pullin' some pretty serious amps and I suspect that's why it's hot.

Excellent advice all!

I did find the piece I need to turn it on and off. Only $9. So when I get it in, I'm going to pull the a/c from the west side, replace the busted buttons, change the cord, and put it on the east wall.

I have another a/c that went out and the cord is the same and also has a built in circuit breaker. I inspected the other one a little better last night and noticed the rubber around the terminals was a little melted and discolored. Definantly not safe. When I move the a/c, I'll replace the $.50 receptacle with a 20a $2 one

When I move the a/c, I'll replace the $.50 receptacle with a 20a $2 one

sounds like money well spent