Thread: Best Glue for Veneering to Aluminum?

Best Glue for Veneering to Aluminum?

I've got a project I'm doing for a friend building the case for a vacuum tube headphone amp. I've got some plain, unbacked walnut burl veneer that I need to stick to the aluminum top panel of the amp. Googling for veneering to aluminum brings up a bunch of car guys using glues with flexible glue lines, which is normally a no-no for veneering. Anyone have any real experience or suggestions?

I'd use epoxy. It'll stick to both wood and aluminum. I use epoxy from West Systems. System 3 makes similar stuff.

I use a vacuum veneer press. No other technique is even close.

I've made a few hundred retail fixtures with veneered aluminum using contact adhesive. No problems yet.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I've made a few hundred retail fixtures with veneered aluminum using contact adhesive. No problems yet.
    Considering this is for a case on a vacuum tube amp, and assuming it will get warm/hot (maybe not, but it's a consideration) wouldn't heat cause issues with contact cement?

I would say go with epoxy and scuff sand the aluminum surface with some fine sandpaper to increase the bonding ability.

Correct, the top plate of the amp will swing between room temperature and hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch.

You rarely see a valve amp with a top over the tubes, does happen more in headphone amps though. I would use epoxy, though I am not sure I would use wood on the top, sides yes.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Joe Woodworker sells a veneer glue for copper that I have used. I bet it would work for veneer to aluminum.

Are there going to be issues with the electronics? If the top panel is in any way a heat sink, I don't know that I'd be easy about adding thermal insulation on top of it.

Guitar amps are built like this all the time, with airflow out the back. It really shouldn't get that hot. Think about old radios and TV sets. If the aluminum is getting hot to the touch, there's inadequate heat sink and airflow, which is a problem with or without veneer....unless the aluminum IS the heatsink? I probably wouldn't veneer to the heatsink...it wouldn't be wood for the veneer OR the amp. Build a plywood case around the chassis, leaving adequate room for airflow, and veneer the case.