Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone converted their non-mirka ROS with the Abranet backup pad and mesh disks?

Anyone converted their non-mirka ROS with the Abranet backup pad and mesh disks?

I see where for $30 I can order a new backup pad to convert my PC ROS to the type that is compatible with the Abranet sanding mesh.

Has anyone here done this conversion with the pad, and if so were your results worth it?

Thanks

I use the abranet with my Festool ETS150 all the time. It works like a charm and I get great results. The Festool however has great DC and didn't really need any mods two work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mackinnon View Post
    I use the abranet with my Festool ETS150 all the time. It works like a charm and I get great results. The Festool however has great DC and didn't really need any mods two work.
    Me too, with excellent results. I did choose to punch out a few of the center holes of the Abranet pad to match the Festool better, but just because I could and not because it was essential to do so.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

The Abranet backing pad is not to make your ROS compatible with the Abranet discs; they are hook and loop and will fit any ROS with a H&L pad just fine.

The problem is that the abranet discs are thin mesh. As such, they transfer more heat to the pad than a regular H&L disc. Therefore, there's a chance the life of your pad will be diminished as the hooks will deform with heat.

The Abranet pad is more of a protector for the pad.

FWIW, I have a Mirka Ceros sander; there's nothing different about the hooks vis-a-vis the other ROS's I've used; I still use an Abranet pad protector on it.

The hole orientation on the ROS is irrelevant, since the mesh is porous along the whole sfc.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuzdrall View Post
    I see where for $30 I can order a new backup pad to convert my PC ROS to the type that is compatible with the Abranet sanding mesh.

Has anyone here done this conversion with the pad, and if so were your results worth it?

Thanks
    ETS150/3 and /5 - excellent results. I just use a shopvac that I cannot seem to kill.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'll never go back to regular sandpaper on machines. I use Abranet heavy duty rolls on my drum sander too, now. It's like a new machine. Next, I'm converting the drum sander to Velcro. Anyhow, it's difficult to put into words how much better Abranet works on handheld and drum sanders than regular sandpaper.

How do you like that Ceros, Prashun? I've been thinking of picking one up. I played with one a few months ago. Seems like a pretty hot number.

I love my Ceros. I did a mini review on a previous thread of all the things I love about it.

If you are on the fence, wait until Peach Tree has a sale. They've been offering it every couple months with a whole bunch of free abranet paper and free shipping.

Mikra is still running their Father's Day promotion.. you get a lot of sandpaper and a hat if you buy before Jun 30.
    I bought one, have not tried it yet, but I am actually excited to get to the sanding point of this project

I didn't get the protector pad for it that someone mentioned.. will look into that.

Prashun,
    Mirka makes a replacement pad that is different from the backer saver pad. It completely replaces the pad on some brands of sanders so you have the matching 44 holes that are on the Mirka sander.

I also have a Mirka Cerros which I like for the lightweight and low noise. Unfortunately the 5" only comes with a 5/16" orbit which is too aggressive and if you don't change disks often you get swirl marks. It also slows down a lot on curved surfaces but is very good on flat surfaces.

I recommend the Autonet disks instead of the Abranet, they are almost half the price and I find no difference in them. Both are non-sterated.

There are 5 inch backing pads similar to the ones turners use that make the ceros excellent at curved surfaces.

I found that detail out yesterday and I ordered the pad that should fit my PC390 ROS, and a set of abranet discs...hopefully this weekend I will have some results.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dragin View Post
    Prashun,
    Mirka makes a replacement pad that is different from the backer saver pad. It completely replaces the pad on some brands of sanders so you have the matching 44 holes that are on the Mirka sander.

I also have a Mirka Cerros which I like for the lightweight and low noise. Unfortunately the 5" only comes with a 5/16" orbit which is too aggressive and if you don't change disks often you get swirl marks. It also slows down a lot on curved surfaces but is very good on flat surfaces.

I recommend the Autonet disks instead of the Abranet, they are almost half the price and I find no difference in them. Both are non-sterated.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I'll never go back to regular sandpaper on machines. I use Abranet heavy duty rolls on my drum sander too, now. It's like a new machine. Next, I'm converting the drum sander to Velcro. Anyhow, it's difficult to put into words how much better Abranet works on handheld and drum sanders than regular sandpaper.

How do you like that Ceros, Prashun? I've been thinking of picking one up. I played with one a few months ago. Seems like a pretty hot number.
    John, where do you get the rolls for your drum sander, and what benefits would converting to Velcro add? Thanks!

I got the roll here:

http://beavertools.com/mirka/mirka-s...abranet-2.html

I'm using the heavy duty ones.

Changing to velcro just makes it easier to change sandpaper. I hate having to cut it at that goofy angle, wrapping it, tucking it into that stupid clip. I know it works but the sandpaper retention system is just a really inelegant and not very user friendly system.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    There are 5 inch backing pads similar to the ones turners use that make the ceros excellent at curved surfaces.
    Can you point me to a link? Are they from Mirka with the matching holes?

I got a Ceros sander about a month ago and agree what a sander! Not sure if I like the Abranet yet or not. Very fragile but I have not tried the HD version of it yet. Dust pickup is wonderful with the Abranet but not near as good with the 8 hole regular Mirka discs.