Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Planes; A Photographers Prospective

If for a woodworking magazine,I humbly submit it should be documentational. It isn't going into a gallery of impressionistic art. Glad you aren't offended,Marco. That was not my intention.

Thanks for the comments. My wife is doing a presentation on depth of field and selective focus. Hence the image.

Those of you with photo skills understand this, those like me who know nothing see a pretty picture of hand planes all in a row.

Her web site contains many images (most in focus) for those who would like to look. She does amazing work and I get to make frames for some of it.

Well, I think it's only fair that you post a pic of one of your frames for audit as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Cecala View Post

Her web site contains many images (most in focus) for those who would like to look. She does amazing work
    Would you post a link please Marco?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    Would you post a link please Marco?
    Sure Jim. www.skylineimages.net

Todd; These are some in progress shop photos. So much of this stuff leaves before I can get Rebecca to properly shoot it. Please excuse the quality of the photos.

P1010304.jpgA detail of silver, ebony and turquoise inlay.
    P1010305.jpgFrames in oak, ash and cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Just because the closest planes are out of focus doesn't mean she did it via large f-stop, there are several ways to achieve this. For example, perhaps the lens' focal length is exceeded in the close capability, like the planes are two inches away and the lens can only focus down to four inches. However, a small f-stop maximizes depth of field.
    True, but the planes in the background are soft as well, so it's a shallow DOF in this case. There was no exif info in the image, so I couldn't tell what settings she used.

The image as a whole is okay, but hate that she picked the ugliest knob to focus on. Would have also been better if the center third was more cohesive instead of the meandering line that it is. That's my opinion, and we all know what they say about those...

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Byrd View Post
    True, but the planes in the background are soft as well, so it's a shallow DOF in this case. There was no exif info in the image, so I couldn't tell what settings she used.

The image as a whole is okay, but hate that she picked the ugliest knob to focus on. Would have also been better if the center third was more cohesive instead of the meandering line that it is. That's my opinion, and we all know what they say about those...
    Yeah, as I wrote the message I knew I'd regret it because there was no way I planned to explain the many ways depth of field is affected. For example, she could also have achieved a narrow dof via lens tilting.

Pretttttty nice Marco!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Yeah, as I wrote the message I knew I'd regret it because there was no way I planned to explain the many ways depth of field is affected. For example, she could also have achieved a narrow dof via lens tilting.
    Isn't that the (expensive) truth. Let's not even begin to discuss all editing software!