Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWOL??? - Not really!

Smile AWOL??? - Not really!

I received a couple of inquiries about my conspicuous absence from the creek - and particularly expressing concerns about my health. I appreciate very much those concerns, and thought it might be appropriate to comment.

As you all now know, Kathy Marshall is one of our new moderators, recruited at my request, as I really want to curtail further my online activities. While I have been checking in a couple times a day, or more, my intent is to pull back – a lot. As some of you know, several months ago, I quit visiting other sites entirely.

When I started turning in October 2009, my retirement plans included building furniture – both for family and on commission. As has been noted (repeatedly, actually!), my purchase of a lathe was to turn legs for the furniture.

Well, life and the good Lord have a way of developing other plans, and woodturning is now my passion. I have been very blessed – in many ways, but particularly with the rapidity with which turning has enveloped me. My work is in several galleries, and I was most recently contacted by another that wants 20 pieces for a two month featured artist exhibit and they want me to do a weekend workshop later this fall.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on one’s perspective, I have only 7 pieces in my possession. The exhibit starts July 13, and I have been working feverishly to complete at least 7 more. That won’t be the 20 they want, but the director indicated she would take what she could get. This gallery is reported to produce good sales, and while my work is much different from what they have, the director is excited about the possibilities. That means I am, too!

When this all started, I had no idea I would be where I am today with it. I will be 64 this year. About a year ago, I decided that at 66 I would retire from practicing law and until then, I would concentrate on refining my turning and trying to develop markets for my art. I also need to work on my website, and just generally, be free of some other time sinks so that I can take a refreshed approach to my turning – and life itself. Having had a close brush with death changes one’s perspective in a major way!

I enjoy the participation here on the creek, and I intend to continue with some Moderator functions – including editing David D’s occasional expletive that he slips in just to see if I am watching! With Kathy, Steve, Ken and Dennis, I have no doubt this rowdy crowd can be controlled!

There are a bunch of other creekers that do marvelous work so there will be no shortage of postings. I will be around, but just not very visible! So, there you have it - I am alive and well!

Good to hear from you, and good luck w/ the exhibit. I'm sure we all at least expect an update(+Pics) when you get set up @ the gallery.

I agree with Chris + more pixs

Expletives you say? Profanity? Can't use profanity here. But I just did... twice!
    David DeCristoforo

Glad to hear you're busy making sawdust (and just as quickly sweeping it up! ). We'll miss your comments, but you're right, there's a world class group here ready to take up the slack. Have fun!
    Last edited by Steve Busey; 06-27-2012 at 7:57 PM.
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

John,
    While we will miss your frequent and candid replies, not to mention all the eye candy you post for us, I think we all can certainly appreciate your wanting to get some priorities in line with current demands.
    Best of success with the upcoming exhibit. Just be sure to check in every so often to say 'hi'.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I was certainly glad to know it wasn't health related. Sounds like "professional" turner can be added to the resume! Good luck in your showings and don't be a stranger. I enjoy your work, friendship and critiques.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

8. Well, I guess I'm okay with JK doing this gallery thing as long as he keeps posting his new projects for our eyeballs to pop at! Looking forward to your work counselor!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

John, glad to hear all is well. A near death issue can change one's perspective (been there!)
    Best of luck in your future endeavors.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Since I haven't been around much lately I didn't noticed you were missing!

I'm glad things are going well for you. I'm so busy driving my kids to all of their summer activities (baseball, softball, orchestra, summer camps etc) I often forget what day of the week it is!

Maybe you should retire from the law stuff and focus on your turning now!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

hope to bump into ya down the road, John, tampa maybe, enjoy

Congratulations and it sounds like you are busy in a good way. I am glad to see you taking time for yourself. I hope to be there in the next 20 or so years.

Alan

Allways a good thing! Enjoy the turning time, and you better hurry up and enjoy it... those 7 pieces aren't gonna finish themselves! See ya the next time you pop up!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Congrats on the gallery John. I was concerned as I hadn't seen you on here lately. Glad to hear it is turning related. Don't be a stranger John. I always love to see your turnings and hear what's happening. Mary Ann says to tell the wife hello.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John, thanks for all you have contributed and enjoy your "extra time". Turning or otherwise!