Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Chokes!

Thumbs down Grizzly Chokes!

Remember Grizzly Comes Through? WELL FORGET IT!

All Grizzly had to do was send me a small key and a small roll pin and after 4, going on 5 months to get this jointer in service, they failed again!

I've had it, and I took alot of your previous comments to heart! Yes, I had to solve their problem for them, and keep calling THEM to follow up on stuff they should have been doing as part of their customer service......BUT, my requests were not outrageous, I just wanted ONE part that was square. One small part and the machine would be serviceable. I don't thinik that is too much to ask is it? I'm a really patient guy, I think I proved that by giving them four chances to get it right.

I have never ranted about a machine....ever! But you know what the REAL KICKER IS?

They have the nerve to try the "big corporation against the little hobbiest" thing and tried to refuse my demand that I return the machine for a full refund. Now keep in mind that this jointer was purchased in December 02, and to this day has never been used (with the exception of some test cuts after assembly) due to the fence being taken apart and waiting for replacement parts!

I have 5 pages of type written notes summurizing the phone conversations that I initiated (read, "on my dime") about this machine, and they question my request for a refund???

Grizzly said that they will "inspect the machine when it is returned and determine at that point if the machine is in "new condition" because unless it is, they can't offer a full refund because they can't resell it". THEY ACTUALLY SAID THAT! Buyer beware! This machine has never been in service because of their poor quality controls, so first I pay, but then potentially someone else will pay when it is resold! Unbelieveable!

I better stop here before I am black-balled from the sight. Thank you for listening (reading). I feel better now, and maybe I'll be able to go to to sleep.

So, I am in the market for a new 8" jointer, and I'm taking all recommendations.

Remember!! If you want a real machine....stay away from the Green!

Peace

Jay

Cool Holy smokes!

Jay, I really feel for you. At the same time I'm very grateful for your post, as I've been looking at jointers for quite some time now. I, for one, would hate to have spent many months looking and researching and then spend another almost 5 months looking at the machine I chose without being able to use it! It seems as though it would have been so very easy for them to have a satisfied customer, but they chose not to. I've never made a big purchase from Grizzly, but they didn't even carry through my small order in a professional manner. Still, after reading so many "success stories" from them, I was considering their new 8" jointer (w/the four knife setup). For me, it was down to either, the Grizz (not anymore!) or the Bridgewood from Wilke Machinery.

Mind you, I've never used or even seen the Bridgewood, but I do have a Bridge DC and also purchased a Yorkcraft lathe from Wilke. On their Bridgewood line, most all of their better WW machines come with a US built motor and they are setup at their facility for QA purposes. As it happens, the 8"er is on sale as I write this. I've been extremely happy with the freight carrier they use, as well. And, even though I had a slight issue with the lathe order, they made it right. I also needed to return a chuck I didn't really care for and the cost of the piece was returned to my credit card before they even received the return! Their Customer Service ranks right up there with LV and Jet. Personally, Wilke is on my "short list" for just about any power tool I'm researching.

There are a lot of choices out there. Good luck in whatever you choose.
    Last edited by John Miliunas; 05-01-2003 at 9:34 AM.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I had a similar experience with a Grey RAS. It's been a year ago, so I'll just call it a "Grey" one. I understand your need to rant.

I was looking at the same Green 8" jointer. I will take another poll when the time comes. I'll be interested in seeing the replies to this thread and any further recommendations for 8" jointers.

The price on the green one seems hard to match.
    Zack Jennings
    Refugee from the Pond

Take a look at Sunhill

Last year on the Pond, there was a very favorable discussion regarding the Sunhill jointers. The Sunhill 8" cost less, has a longer table, and larger motor than the 8" Bridgewood. (This is only a spec comparison, nothing against Bridgewood.) There is a review of the Sunhill 6" jointer over on the Pond archives at WC.

I don't know the details of your defective parts, but I would think that with some looking around town, you might be able to find suitable replacements.

I have had only one experience with Grizzly customer service and it was pleasant. They replaced a grinder which had a bent shaft, most likely done in shipping to me. Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I would think that the documentation of the machine would include an exploded view of the machine and a parts list with parts numbers from which you could order replacement parts. Maybe I am asking too much....
    Best Regards, Ken

Doesn't sound right....

...Jay, this is too simple to be this aggravating. My Griz jointer had been dropped and the fence plate was broken. New jointer in two days. You must be dealing with a disgruntled, lazy employee. All you need are two parts that could be stuffed in an envelope? This is crazy. You pay by credit card? That is where I would have begun after the service dept. gave me the run-around. I've even had great experience with their service department. Talked to a rep that guided me in the right direction. I'll bet he would have sent you the part. A really bizaare situation. I'd stay on their case. This is stupid on their part. Follow up, please. We'd like to know the final outcome.
    Last edited by Phil Phelps; 05-01-2003 at 1:07 PM.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Let me see if I can help....

Jay,

Bill Croufutt(billcrofutt@grizzly.com) is a Grizzly exec. that surfs the forums. I have never seen him post here but he has solved other Grizzly problems in the past. I have emailed him your trouble. This is not normal for Grizzly service. I have no idea what is going on but hopefully Bill will chime in and get something done about this ASAP.

Terry Hatfield

I take exception that "this is not normal for Grizzly service". I mentioned that I had a problem with Grizzly on a service part but did not explain what it was. Here goes.

I had a G1019 bandsaw and a part on the tension device broke. When I tried to order one the first service rep told me it was no longer available due to a design change. They sent me a part off of a different model which I had to modify to make work, sort of. I was able to get my saw running but the part did not fit correctly. I thought about this for awhile and then decided that Grizzly just had not provided me with good service. I wrote them a long email and gave them the particulars. Turns out the part was available, but it cost me $25.00 to get the part and have it shipped. I have been in diecasting for a number of years and would estimate that the cost of the part, made in the U.S. might be $2.00 or $3.00. I thought the price was outrageous but I did not have another choice. This took place over several months and involved several people at Grizzly. One of the technicians was knowlegeable and courteous. The others were hopeless and not at all helpful.

Grizzly has some good products and some good manufacturing operations, but they are inconsistent. That is where customer service should come in, to fix problems and salvage bad situations and turn them into wins for everyone. This points to a lack of a strong corporate culture around service and a lack of awareness on the strengths and weakness of their business. They are also starting to exhibit signs of greediness, especially in situations regarding new equipment that is unservicable.

Too bad, they will either learn and change or a competitor will change them (they will get smaller).

john

John,

I should have said "not normal as far as my dealings with Grizzly service".

Terry

Take a deep breath....

A credible complaint about a company and a tool provides details. If a part is off spec, please identify which part. Other grizz jointer owners in particular have an interest in this.
    What was wrong when you recieved it. What has been repaired/replaced and what repairs are still needed. What was the condition of the replacement parts?

I don't know what the "Big Corp against the little hobbiest thing" means.

It seems like repacking and returning a mchine wo authorization when all it takes is a key and roller pin is overly dramatic.
    Best of luck in resolving your problems with grizzly.

Since you were soliciting opinions about replacement tools you might try to purchase a tool available from a local retailer.
    bob boake-Tulsa OK

I have never had one issue with service from the Green Store

I have bought several tools and other items from them. On two occasions I needed to get service. (1) I ordered a 12" disk sander and the thing was damaged in shipment somewhere alond the line. I could have easily fixed the damage (bent housing and a defective miter slot. I called expecting a new part to be delivered, instead I received a brand new unit and a mail return label. (2) I ordered a replacement switch for another tool (not a Grizzly) and when I installed it the part did not work. Now keep in mind it could have been me who damaged the switch during installation. Grizzly sent out a new switch. Granted these are fairly inexpensive items, but the several was excellent.

I appreciate your sharing of an experience. You may never buy a Grizzly again, but personally I will. They make great tools, yes sometimes a bad tool will be sold. But I guarantee they aren't the only ones. I was not present at your interactions with them, so I do not know how the tone of the conversation went, but I can tell you friendliness usually gets a better response than anger. Would I be angery if I was in your shoes...Oh yes.

I would try a different approach, get a manager or someone else (if not already) and politely explain the issue. It may work or it may not. I hope you can get this worked out for a small priced part, because the Grizzly tools really are good.

Good Luck.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Well, I have had good service when needed

Only had to call them once on something that wasn't quite right.
    1023 saw
    24 drum sander
    20 planer
    power feeder
    2 nail guns
    1 staple gun

When I purchased the 20" planer, it had a shaft that kept working its way out of the casting. I called and explained the problem, and I received the parts in 2 days. Even though that did not fix the problem and I figured out how to fix it another way, I have been happy with their equipment and service.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Maybe Terry will help you out there. Bill will take care of the problem, I've talked to him before. If I remember correctly He is an advid woodworker and usually keeps up on machinery problems and fixes.

Back to Jay's question re 8" jointers ...

This thread seems to have morphed into a discussion of Grizzly, which may be helpful to others with their own future purchases but doesn't address Jay's question about 8" jointers.

Two weeks ago I finished assembling my new Delta "Professional" model 8" jointer -- the one with the rack-and-pinion fence adjustment and the high-mounted switch. (Can't recall the model number.) I used it a little last weekend, including face jointing and edge jointing an 8' board. Overall, I'm very happy with the machine. It runs smooth and quiet, holds its adjustments, and straightens and flattens boards like it's supposed to. I was also very impressed with the way it was packed. Looks pretty impressive sitting in the shop, too.

I do have a couple of reservations. It's just a 1-1/2 HP motor with single belt drive. It will be interesting to see how it does face-jointing 8" of something hard. Second, I was a little disappointed in the fit of some of the castings -- although NONE of the problems I'm about to discuss affect the operation of the machine in the slightest. As noted above, the machine works well. It's more of an aesthetic thing, I guess. Anyway, the parts in question are mounts for the fence. With the holes lined up and the parts bolted together, the edges of the castings don't quite line up. No problem in terms of how the tool functions, but a little disappointing in a $1000 tool.

I just got my $100 rebate check in the mail earlier this week. Took them a while, but Delta paid as promised. After the rebate, I think I paid about $950 from a local dealer.

I probably would have bought the Bridgewood, but the cost to ship it from Wilke to me in Arizona killed the deal. With shipping, the Bridgewood would have cost as much as a DJ20 purchased locally or from Amazon (with free shipping). If you're closer to Wilke, though, the Bridgewood looks like a great buy. Also worth considering would be the 8" Yorkcraft sold by Wilke, which is the same Chinese-made jointer body as my Delta, but with a Chinese-made motor instead of the Delta's U.S.-made motor.

Hope this helps. Good luck, whatever you decide. -- Paul

It's just a 1-1/2 HP motor with single belt drive. It will be interesting to see how it does face-jointing 8" of something hard.

Food for thought, Paul. Twelve and thirteen inch portable planers have lighter duty motors than this, and seem to do just fine.

Dave
    [edit]spel cheking
    Last edited by Dave Arbuckle; 05-01-2003 at 12:47 PM.

Grizzly Chokes!

Jay,

I have purchased six major machines from Grizzly and I don't know how many router bits, blades and other accessories. Two of the major machines I purchased had major problems to resolve. On the first machine, a planer, the problem was corrected quickly. The second machine is still unsatisfactory, I have already written a message here at SMC concerning the nasty details of my 24" drum sander.

My experience with Grizzly is much like others who have had probems with their equipment. Grizzley does have a few tools that are fantastic values, and some that aren't. In the furure I will base all purchase decisions involving Grizzley on the reviews of other woodworkers. I just can't afford another bad experience with a machine that is just too expensive to return due to shipping costs.

I sincerely hope that a Grizzly representative will join SawMill Creek and offer to assist our members when they have problems with their machinery. Grizzly does have some very good machines and some border on being great woodworking equipment like their 1023 saws and the 15" planer they sell.

Obviosuly, you're not gonna want another Grizzly jointer...but I still think it's a helluva deal and a fine machine. We've not had any problems whatever with ours at the mesquite outfit, and it sits on a patio and gets used hard. Somebody's gonna get a lemon now and then (we have a lemon 1023 tablesaw, for that matter)...but they certainly haven't handled your problem very well from the beginning. For what it's worth, the 'we'll decide if it's really broke/like new' when it gets here' is normal (for them)...we had a switch replaced on the 1023 under warranty and they wouldn't send the part out until we sent in the old one, at our expense.

KC