View Poll Results: Do you have any 3 phase machines?

Voters
729. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have only single phase machines.

569 78.05%
  • I have at least one 3ph machine.

149 20.44%
  • Whats a machine? I am a neander.

11 1.51%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you own any machine or machines PLEASE vote in this poll... that means you!

If you own any machine or machines PLEASE vote in this poll... that means you!

I want to know if you have all single pahse machines or if you own a 3ph machine.

I posted a poll about how people run their three phase machines recently and initially I just wanted to know exactly that, but putting in the single phase option got me thinking about what percentage of people here have a three phase machine, I am thinking the way the other poll was set up prevents us from gleaning that info from that poll.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

2. all single phase

Does my PM3520B count. Has it's own converter box. They should put them on drill presses.

Blog Entries
    I guess you only want woodworking machines and my three phase well pump doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Does my PM3520B count. Has it's own converter box. They should put them on drill presses.

That is an interesting question but I say no to the lathes WITH stock VFDs since they are designed to run on single phase outlet power. Some people do use VFDs on DPs for speed control when converting 3ph machines but the only attempt for a commercial product I know of was the failed Delta. I think DPs work fine with a good quality Reeves drive since they don't need reverse and you can get a full speed range with no belt changes and keep constant HP which allows lower HP motors. People will spend a lot more on a lathe than a DP.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

If you have a machine with a three phase motor driven by a VFD with single phase input, does that count as a single phase machine or a three phase machine. The reason I ask is that some lathes come with a built in VFD but are described as single phase machines. The three phase in "under the covers" so the user doesn't know about it.

So if that doesn't count as a three phase machine, does a lathe that I installed a VFD and a three phase motor count as a three phase machine or a single phase machine?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If you have a machine with a three phase motor driven by a VFD with single phase input, does that count as a single phase machine or a three phase machine. The reason I ask is that some lathes come with a built in VFD but are described as single phase machines. The three phase in "under the covers" so the user doesn't know about it.

So if that doesn't count as a three phase machine, does a lathe that I installed a VFD and a three phase motor count as a three phase machine or a single phase machine?

Mike
    I was trying to clear that up, if the lathe was sold new with a VFD then I consider it single phase, if you bought say a PM90 that was three phase and use a VFD to power it I consider that 3ph.

I acn think of one other troublesome area, we will see if it crops up as well.

I don't think so, but don't really know. What is a three phase motor?

Well, I have bought a 3phase motor bandsaw and it is being shipped tomorrow (and hopefully arrive here on Friday).
    So technically I don't have one in my shop yet but will vote yes once I get it (I am excited about the big toy

To answer your question, 'do you own any three phase machines,?' ...yes I do. The majority of my machines are three phase. I was fortunate enough to move my garage shop into a large facility that had an abundance of three phase power (former defense contractor building with multiple 'panels' (four total) all 220-240 or 440-480 three phase. All of the subsequent machines I purchased were three phase and it was somewhat of a bother to have to cluster my moved garage shop (220v) single phase machines into a small area wired for such (OK, I'm lazy and didn't want to rewire to spread them out...it works).

I'm not sure why you are polling but if it is because you have an option to bring three phase in or to move to a location with three phase...don't walk...run.....and DO IT !!!! Why you ask? Because (usually) three phase machines are industrial machines and built to run 24/7 (exaggerated but you get the point). You already know all of this. Another thing you already know is that it's the greatest 'sale' or 'secret' or 'opportunity' out there. You buy three phase machines for, literally, pennies (yes, pennies...not nickels...not dimes...but pennies) on the dollar compared to single phase. And you already know the reason why, because when a nice single phase machine comes up for sale, you're competing against 100% of the population out there but when a three phase machine comes up for sale, you're only competing against a 'puny' percent of the population.

So maybe you're curious as to what that 'puny' percentage is?
    The reason for your poll?
    That's my guess.
    How close am I?

Last point...dang vfd's...they're beginning to drive up the price of the old three phase beauties!

shop power panels.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-28-2012 at 5:35 PM.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitlow View Post
    I don't think so, but don't really know. What is a three phase motor?
    Simply it is a motor that requires 3ph power to operate properly, it does not need start or run caps and can be smaller for a specific output as well.

3ph power is a type of polyphase power transmission used on most power grids since it is more economical to move the energy and also uses smaller conductors.

It involves the "hot" condutors which carry alternating currents at the same frequency but with their waves offset so the peaks arrive at different times each offset from the other two by a third or two thirds of a wave. This makes gives it a smooth energy delivery vs single phase. 3ph power does not need a neutral since the load is connected between phases. The other major benefits are the simpler motor design mentioned before and it also reduces motor vibration due to the linear nature of the delivery into a balanced load. Three phase is chosen since it is the lowest phase order which accomplishes the above goals.

The fact that producing 3ph from single phase has become more widespread, cheaper and the quality of the "power" has become better results in hobbyists or small shops without commercial 3ph power being able to resonably buy and use large (or small) 3ph machines that have historically gone for literally pennies on the dollar. I just bought a Northfield jointer with 10 hobbyists lifetimes of use left in it for 7% of what it would cost to buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon Stathatos View Post
    So maybe you're curious as to what that 'puny' percentage is?
    The reason for your poll?
    That's my guess.
    How close am I?

Last point...dang vfd's...they're beginning to drive up the price of the old three phase beauties!

shop power panels.jpg
    My other poll made me mor curious, I am finding more of us have 3ph machines than I expected...

Thats some serious juice you got coming in there!!!! <JELOUS!

One three phase. My Felder KF700 came with a factory inverter installed so it could be run on single phase. I have the only variable speed table saw in town.

Rick Potter

I have 4 .. A smallish SCM wide belt.. Felder Edge Sander, Griggio Jointer and a General Lathe .. The lathe is out of a school shop.

I have a 3 phase panel connected to a converter .. The cost to install a breaker and run a tec cable with plug and recepticle is higher than the cost of a VFD for the lathe.. I think Factorymotion is $119.00 for a 1hp Teco Westinghouse VFD .. The breaker alone is more than that in Canada.

As another poster said, 3 phase is awesome because the machinery is usually higher end, and it has a lousy resale value because so few people can run it .. VFD's are indeed wrecking it but only up to 3hp ... for now..

LOL!
    I had to pick option 3 since it "didn't fit", less than the other two "didn't fit".

All my machines are single phase - but - only because they are 120 volt. I didn't want to skew the data...