Thread: Recommendation for a power carver to detail woodturnings

Recommendation for a power carver to detail woodturnings

Hi...

My wife, who is very artistic, would like to do some embellishments on my woodturnings. We have been looking for a small power carver (chisel) that she could do detail carvings. I know arbortech makes some as well as Proxxon. I would appreciate any recommendations that any of you would have as to what models we should look at.

Thanks a lot in advance...

Dave

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    The Automach, though pricy, is a great tool. I don't know if Automach is spelled correctly?

You can also look at the foredom system with reciprocating chisel. Good for detail carving
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

If you go the "foredom" route check out the Wecheer with reciprocating handpiece. I have had both and still have the Wecheer and use it on occasion. It come with a regular handpiece the recip is an add on.

As with most woodworking tools sharpening is critical. You can select a few carving tools. Flex cut makes some nice tools and some of those tools can be used in a power carver or a handle. Hand carving with sharp tools can be very effective for carving. You (or your wife) will learn how to make the tools sharp. You will also learn how to cut with the grain. A power recpiacating carver wil not make you a better carver. You can learn bad "skills" with a power carver. If you learn with hand tools the addition of a power carver will make your good skills work better.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

I have bought two of the Ryobi power carvers off Ebay over the last few years and really like them. The reason I bought a second one is just to have it when I wear the first one out I will have one to use. Here is a link to one on Ebay now but you see them on there all the time. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RYOBI-POWER-...item20c67fa887
    Jack Mincey

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. It is obvious that we need to get some proper training before we get any power tools. I have a set of carving tools that my son gave me last year. I know how important sharpening is, since I woodturn. I have tried sharpening the tools he gave me, and it is quite a different approach. I'm still in the learning process on that. Since I submitted my question, I have contacted a Savannah woodcarving club and spoke to their president. I think we will start attending their meetings. He told me that everyone helps each other and that the Saturday meetings are generally help sessions. I agree with Richard Allen, that we need to learn the proper techniques and sharpening before we delve into any power tools.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions....

Dave

I too got a Ryobi off of E-bay. It was new and I paid about $80. I like it a lot.

I have 3 Dremels, I bought a recipropcal handpiece for one and it came with 4 blades. I think it was about $40, works great, just keep the blades sharp.