Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it Hot around here, or is it just me?

Smile Is it Hot around here, or is it just me?

High tomorrow of 100 with heat index of 115 and possibly reaching 118. Athens, in North Georgia predicted high of 108. I sure feel badly for all you folks dealing with the heat wave that aren't accustomed to this kind of heat. We have actually had rather pleasant days up to this point, it's getting hot later than usual. I believe I'll get my chores done early tomorrow.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Weather forecasters are calling for about the same here in Smithfield,Va. Temp 101 heat index 110. I was going to work on the boat tomorrow but I think it's going to have to wait. Stay cool and don't over do it. It bothers me when pretty girls get sick.

We hit a peak of 105 yesterday according to my pretty accurate thermometer. With humidity in the low 30's that's a heat index of 113. At 7PM when we were running some errands they said the heat index was still 110. It felt like summer in St. Louis to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    We hit a peak of 105 yesterday according to my pretty accurate thermometer. With humidity in the low 30's that's a heat index of 113. At 7PM when we were running some errands they said the heat index was still 110. It felt like summer in St. Louis to me.
    What's your weather normally like Matt?

60% humidity tomorrow. Yuck! I have have to join everyone else at the mall or the library. Maybe I'll just make it a movie afternoon. I usually have to take a sweater to the theater, so the temp should be about right. Oh, and they serve hotdogs now!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Low 90s is usually hot for us in the summer. We can often go weeks at a time without the AC running, especially in June.

We ended up at the mall yesterday. I hate the mall...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Low 90s is usually hot for us in the summer. We can often go weeks at a time without the AC running, especially in June.

We ended up at the mall yesterday. I hate the mall...
    Wish I didn't have to run the AC. My electric bill went up $82.00 this month because we switched over to summer rates. I hate the mall, too . . .

I can't imagine how people without AC cope when a heat wave like this hits. I'm sure we'll have a few deaths as there are a lot of poor and elderly here who live in really tough neighborhoods and don't feel safe opening windows and doors.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 06-29-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Bella Terra

We're a bit north of Matt and registered 99.8º yesterday.
    Installed central AC 3 years ago, finally.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It's 27.9c right now, heading to a forecast high of 32c. With 54% humidity the humidex says that it "feels" like 34c (93.2F). Six day forecast is showing 6 days of forecast 30c.

At least the nights are all forecast to drop to 18, which should help some with cooling things off. But I do agree with Belinda that I'm going to be dreading the hydro bill, as this'll be the first month with pretty much fulltime AC at the house.

On the other hand here I am at work (University) in a circa 1959 stone building, 3 stories. I get to wear shorts and polo shirts, whoopie, but I'm actually kind of cool, thanks to all the chilling going on in this building.
    "It's Not About You."

It's going to hit 100 here in southeastern Pa. I live near a lake so I might take my kayak out and go swimmin'.

59 and raining here colder and wetter than normal and that's saying a lot !
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It’s supposed to get to 98 here today with 25% humidity. Being at 5300’ elevation has its advantages.
    I was in Chicago on business in July, 1995 during their record heat wave. Temperatures reached 110 with a heat index of 119. I remember stepping out from the air conditioned plant and it felt like I had just opened an oven that was set to broil. I had never felt anything like it before or since.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    It's hot in Virgina. About 100* the next 3 days and with high humidity.

PHM

Are you on a ladder?? It gets cooler closer to the ground

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    It’s supposed to get to 98 here today with 25% humidity. Being at 5300’ elevation has its advantages.
    I was in Chicago on business in July, 1995 during their record heat wave. Temperatures reached 110 with a heat index of 119. I remember stepping out from the air conditioned plant and it felt like I had just opened an oven that was set to broil. I had never felt anything like it before or since.
    One hot August day a few years ago we had some folks visiting from Bristol, England. We stepped outside to go to lunch and the heat just sort of hits you like a brick wall. One of the guys from England says "Wow! I didn't know it got this hot on the planet!" I said, "Shoot man! wait till it really gets hot this afternoon!" (It was about 104 at noon and by about 4:00 I think it was up to 115)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Here, 40 mi. inland from L. A., my computer says it will be a high of 91, with a humidity of 20%, with a low tonight of 57, with a humidity of 40%.

We usually don't have high humidity in the summer, except for a two or three week period in August, when it gets up higher, which means during that time it doesn't cool down as much at night. Right now, we are wearing a lite sweater outside at night, if we go to a ball game or whatever.

In a week or so, we are going to Phoenix. Today it's 112 there.

Rick Potter