Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it Hot around here, or is it just me?

what are the temperature in Death Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Are you on a ladder?? It gets cooler closer to the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Here, 40 mi. inland from L. A., my computer says it will be a high of 91, with a humidity of 20%, with a low tonight of 57, with a humidity of 40%.

We usually don't have high humidity in the summer, except for a two or three week period in August, when it gets up higher, which means during that time it doesn't cool down as much at night. Right now, we are wearing a lite sweater outside at night, if we go to a ball game or whatever.

In a week or so, we are going to Phoenix. Today it's 112 there.

Rick Potter
    Tomorrow night we will have a refreshing low of 77 with 78% humidity and 100% bugs. I've been in Phoenix when it was around 112, and it is nothing like the heat we have with the humidity. Tonight and tomorrow night it will be like breathing through a wet cloth. I love to get the summer LL Bean catalogs . . . CUTE sweaters, but where are the tank tops and camisoles? Fortunately, like Art, I wear shorts and polos to work. We unloaded 7 slabs of stone yesterday around noon and I would have melted if not for the shorts.

Had to stop by Wally World on the way home, which is actually worse than the mall in my world. When I walked out it was indeed like having an oven door open with a hot wind blowing across the parking lot. According to my car dashboard display the temp was - - -F.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Are you on a ladder?? It gets cooler closer to the ground
    And if you pass out and fall from the top of the ladder you'll get a nice breeze, too!

My sympathies East Coast people,

I had to change out a power steering pump in a campground in North Carolina once. It was over 100% with 90% humidity. I thought I'd never finish it.

Camped at Panama Beach Fl. one time. We got up in the morning drenched with sweat, walked 500' to the water and cooled off a bit, walked back the 500' to the camper....drenched with sweat. No AC naturally.

Same trip, driving down a secondary road in South FL., there was a noise like driving on a gravel road, and commented to the wife that it didn't look like gravel. It wasn't. When we stopped for an intersection an air force of bugs came in the open windows. No AC in the truck either. Stopped at a Seminole indian gift stand. While there asked the guy whether he was immune to the mosquitos, since his family had lived there for generations. He sez "Oh no!, they drive us nuts, and we sleep with mosquito netting over the beds".

Visited an Uncle in OK. The cows got out, and were accross the street....9 AM. Walked out the door, and it was like hitting a wall. Instant sweat. Took half an hour. Please take me home to the desert.

I sweat a lot for a fat guy, wife just glows.

Rick Potter

My sympathies East Coast people,

I had to change out a power steering pump in a campground in North Carolina once. It was over 100% with 90% humidity. I thought I'd never finish it.

Camped at Panama Beach Fl. one time. We got up in the morning drenched with sweat, walked 500' to the water and cooled off a bit, walked back the 500' to the camper....drenched with sweat. No AC naturally.

Same trip, driving down a secondary road in South FL., there was a noise like driving on a gravel road, and commented to the wife that it didn't look like gravel. It wasn't. When we stopped for an intersection an air force of bugs came in the open windows. No AC in the truck either. Stopped at a Seminole indian gift stand. While there asked the guy whether he was immune to the mosquitos, since his family had lived there for generations. He sez "Oh no!, they drive us nuts, and we sleep with mosquito netting over the beds".

Visited an Uncle in OK. The cows got out, and were accross the street....9 AM. Walked out the door, and it was like hitting a wall. Instant sweat. Took half an hour. Please take me home to the desert.

I sweat a lot for a fat guy, wife just glows.

Rick Potter
    I dare you to do a Google search about elderly people loosing sweat glands, the information will open your eyes

South Louisiana is a little warmer then usual this time of year, mid to high 90s with 60% humidity but nothing we don't expect. This is one of the few times in the summer I am happy to be in LA and not our SC home! NC, SC and GA are gettin' hammered.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    59 and raining here colder and wetter than normal and that's saying a lot !

im in south dakota and its been hotter then you know what, (90-100) the past several weeks and no end in sight. no rain here
    in the past month or so too. (everyone else in the area gets rain but us) its surprising tho that there hasnt been much humidity.
    i hate the heat but i dont care how hot it gets, its a night and day difference if there is no humidity.

the last job i had as a machinist was in a huge steel paneled building and i worked 330-1130 which was always the hottest part
    of the day from about 4pm-10pm and when we came into work we knew instantly if it was going to be a really miserable night cause
    the floors would be wet from the humidity. the poor ventilation and the heat from the machines would always make it 10-15 degrees
    hotter inside. i dont miss that place one bit except for the pay checks!

i really feel sorry for any construction worker that does roofing, cant imagine how hot it gets on a roof between the asphalt shingles
    and hot tar. has to be a killer!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-08-2012 at 5:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    South Louisiana is a little warmer then usual this time of year, mid to high 90s with 60% humidity but nothing we don't expect. This is one of the few times in the summer I am happy to be in LA and not our SC home! NC, SC and GA are gettin' hammered.
    according to the news from Alabama and GA, the major damage was to the chicken coops

I worked 11.5 hrs in the heat [94] yesterday, so I could have an easy day in the heat today. Not used to the heat so much any more now I am a stones throw from Canada.

Don't like cold either, but I think I would pick cold over heat if I had a choice.

Larry
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-29-2012 at 8:02 PM.

Thanks Ray,

It's not bad enough getting old, fat, and crippled. Now I have to deal with not sweating properly? That's it, I am gonna stay safe, sit on my couch where I can't get injured, and eat bon bons. After all, the taste buds go away too, with the sweet tasties lasting longer than the rest.

You sure know how to kill the golden years, buddy.

Pass the M&M's,

grumpyrick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    It's hot in Virgina. About 100* the next 3 days and with high humidity.

PHM
    Sure was hot, I flew home today, much cooler in Toronto than it was in Virginia..........Rod.

well it's usually between 90 and 100 degrees here (thailand) 12 months of the year though unfortunately we are now in the rainy season and we also live in a rice growing area so with the flooded fields we have a ridiculously high humidity all year,the good point is that i only wear t shirt and shorts with flip flops unless going to weddings or funerals or golf courses . life can be hard after retireing
    if mosquitos would only suck fat i'd be as lean as a racing snake

Thanks Ray,

It's not bad enough getting old, fat, and crippled. Now I have to deal with not sweating properly? That's it, I am gonna stay safe, sit on my couch where I can't get injured, and eat bon bons. After all, the taste buds go away too, with the sweet tasties lasting longer than the rest.

You sure know how to kill the golden years, buddy.

Pass the M&M's,

grumpyrick Potter
    the baby boomers are close to their retire age and the news are supplying them with the facts that they need so that they will not be left to the guessing game, the taste buds are different because of your sinus and colds, foods that taste sweet to me may taste sour or bitter to other people

the temperature at a KY race track yesterday was reported to be 141 degrees

Drive thru of Chic-Fil-A about 30 minutes ago.

IMG_0021.jpg

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra