Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need project ideas, have woodworkers block!

Need project ideas, have woodworkers block!

My oldest daughter just got engaged and the date is a little over a year from now.

I want to build the happy couple something exceptional as a wedding gift but I'm having major creative block.

This project should test my abilities and allow me to put to use some of the tools I've been stockpiling around here! (Really honey, some day I will use them! Just wait and see!). Well the time has come to put up or shut up!

I figure since I have a year this can really be something special. (Ok, ok....I probably won't actually start until a week beforehand and be in a caffeine induced woodworking frenzy). I know you don't know my skill level, etc. but I would really appreciate any ideas you might have or projects you've completed that have that special emotional flair.

FYI I have a ton of Myrtlewood lying about as well as a good selection of walnut and maple boards. Not a big fan of oak, prefer something very figured and eye-catching.

Thanks!

I have something like this on my to-do list. Not sure if this fits what you are thinking about. Use some nice crotch walnut or mahogany for the top (I'm actually going to use crotch cherry).
    Attached Images Attached Images

A cradle....hint-hint....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    A cradle....hint-hint....
    Lol...my wife has dropped enough heavy hints I may have to buy them hard hats!

How about a nice bedroom dresser. Just about every couple that is just starting out can use one of those.
    Would probably be used their entire life by them.

Blog Entries
    Several years ago I made my granddaughter a grandfather clock on the occasion of her adoption. To this day that is my favorite project I have ever made. I had a small brass plate engraved to say "Handcrafted with love by your Grandfather to celebrate the day you joined our family" The clock still is the dominant piece in their living room. They tell me they brag on it to everyone who comes to visit them.
    However it did take me almost a year to make, but I also have the reputation of being the slowest woodworker on the face of the earth!
    I found the plans and movement at Klockit.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Has the couple registered for china or other "special use" dishes or glassware? If so, I suggest a sideboard that they can use for storing said gifts. I'm in the middle of building one so the china my wife and I received can come out of its storage boxes and be available for more regular usage. Right now, using it involves lots of unpacking, washing, drying, stacking, rewashing, drying, and repacking.

If china/glassware isn't really their thing, then they've likely registered for linens. You can extend the sideboard into linen chests, or whatnot.

A Maloof style rocker is a good year long project. Of all the things I've made, it's the piece that people go ga-ga over. There are great commercial plans available for it, and I guarantee y'll learn some new skills building it.

The other nice thing about it is that it's a centerpiece of a room and doesn't need sister pieces to be complete. The problem with most casegoods is that they are part of several pieces that IMHO are very much taste-specific.

A cradle was my first thought, but that's a better gift for when/if they announce something's on the way.

Blog Entries
    im with chad, either a china cupboard or a cedar linen chest or hope chest.
    but if a baby is in the future plans then a very nice cradle or something would
    be a great gift.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I Love The Smell Of Sawdust In The Morning!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    It would be useful to decide if you want to make something that is ornamental and special that has little practical use like the Maloof chair (which would be awesome BTW!) or the grandfather clock. Or something practical like the china cupboard, sideboard or bedroom furniture.
    I'm thinking that a cradle might send a message that they might not want to deal with right now. I know that would be the case in my family. Somehow a baby cradle as a wedding present just doesn't seem right. It could send the message to wedding guests that she is already pregnant. Plus, You will usually have plenty of time to build a cradle after you find out they are expecting.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Great suggestions, keep 'em coming! I'm going for the practical yet heirloom quality. I had thought for a long time I'd like to make a chest but I just haven't come across a design that really makes me say "wow". Anybody have any photos of their, er, favorite chests?

The rocking chair is an awesome idea but unless it is a tandem design it seems a little singular for a wedding present. Although we all know the weddings and gifts are really for the bride anyway!

I made our Grand-daughter a cradle when she was expecting. Turns out mothers prefer to use the wind-up swings.
    It is in it's storage box, unused.

A year? How about a table and 4 chairs for the dining room or breakfast nook?
    That ought to test your skills.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Now I'm thinking something on a smaller scale like a chest, nightstands, etc. I don't want to make something so large they would be forced to design their decor around it.

What ideas do you have for something smaller than say an armoire, dining set, etc. I loved the grandfather clock idea. My brother built an elaborate regulator clock for his wife, of course he had an entire CNC shop at his disposal.

You guys are getting the creative juices flowing, keep 'em coming! Photos help.

Being a fan of the Stickley boys, I think a Stickley Bridal Chest would end up being a nice wedding/heirloom gift...

f_89-0117_GusBridalChstPROF_o_s_.jpg

Blog Entries
    I've made two sets like this one for a friends wedding, the other for a nephew's, they were very well received. I gave the weather monitor as a shower gift and the cock as a wedding gift. The works came from Clock Kit and it have an electronic chime that silences itself at night if desired.lukeweather.jpglukeclock.jpg

For both of my children I made a head board and matching dresser as a wedding gift.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-29-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute