Thread: Live Oak

Live Oak

About twenty years ago a gave me two chunks of Live Oak. They are 3'X15''x3''. Today I hauled one out. I ripped it to 8'' wide and rani it over the jointer and through the planer. The just for fun it took to it with my SB #5 with a Hock blade and chip breaker. That stuff is tough. I just did one edge and was able to take off fluff. I could only take fluff. I am not man enough to do shavings. It gives me new found respect for the Shipwrughts of yore.
    Has anyone out there ever made anything from this wood? I don't really care for the color but it sure planes to a glassy surface.

If it is the same as Silk Oak you may be sorry a few days after coming in contact with the dust. The itching and rash could put you in the hospital. I started to make a bowl a few years ago but never finished it;-)

Craig

I have worked with for several days, usung a mask, and have had no symptoms. I did find that amber shellac makes it look great.

The U.S.S. Constitution, Old Ironsides, is made of Georgia live oak, two feet thick in places. The cannon balls just bounced off.

I used my LN 41/2 on a piece and spayed two coats of Zizzner on it. I rubbed it out with 000 steel wool and Wool Lube. This changed my opinion about the woods appeeance. It looks very nice and I can see it as a good accent option.