Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 1150 VS Drill Press Rebuild. HELP

Powermatic 1150 VS Drill Press Rebuild. HELP

I bought a like new Powermatic 1150 VS serial #8615V167 in 1993 and it served me well until 2005 when the drive sheave assembly was damaged beyond repair because of a loose bolt. I patched it up and it runs, but I cannot adjust the speed and it is very noisy. It is not the most used machine in my shop, so for 7 years I have used it with no speed adjustment along with hearing protection. It does what I need it to do but it is not a joy to use.

I have decided to do something about it. I really was not interested in rebuilding so I went drill press shopping. There is NOTHING new out there under $1500 that can possibly compare to my 1150. The only advantage the new ones have over the 1150 is their table raising mechanisms. This DP has had a gentle life in my cabinet shop - very little use. The way I see it, I have to get interested in rebuilding, and I have to come up with a table raising mechanism.

I believe my DP was born in 1986. Does anyone have a 1986 manual?

According to a 1993 manual, I will need a fixed flange sheave #3719177 internal drive shaft #3144006, VS belt 6077158. Where can I get these parts and instructions on how to install them?

Anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate a table raising mechanism?

Guys, your information and advise on this rebuild will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 07-01-2012 at 5:44 PM.

When I was looking for parts related to my 1100VS ( 1962 model ) recently there were some reeves drive pulleys on ebay, $225 a piece IIRC. There was also a table lift for about the same price. Not cheap, but what a drill press. My reeves drives were froze up when I got it and I feared I would have to replace the pulleys, that's why I was looking at ebay. I got them freed up so I didn't need to replace them after all. Mine also came with a retirement light and the table lift option.

Kim

Blog Entries
    Go Here http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...x?id=655&tab=3
    for list of manuals. And go to OWWM.org to inquire to other issues. I'd bet someone has added a table lift.
    They even have a forum for buying/selling parts and equipment. Put in a WTB for your parts

Hi Jerry. This is a repost of my message on the old thread - it's of no particular significance:

Hi Jerry. You probably know this, and I know nothing about US drill presses, but if you're headed down the rebuild road it's maybe worth checking for other stuff that hasn't failed per se - but which is perhaps worn enough to significantly reduce accuracy. Hard experience suggests that the best rebuilds are those that address the entire machine and return a bit of kit to more or less 'as new'. That way there's not other stuff left lurking to cause hassle and frustration down the road.

Some stuff is such that it's not economically possible to replace or refurbish what wears because they comprise too large a part of the cost of the machine. It may still be worth rebuilding, but the cost/benefit versus another machine then needs thinking through.

ian

Can't manage the table.
    But now's the time to exploit the machine's downtime.
    Get a real speed changer, a VFD.

Thanks Kim, I have emailed the seller.

Thanks John, because of you, I am now a member of OWWM. I will be spending some time on that site.

Ian, You are right and I have a feeling this rebuild will end up a total refurbish.

Pat, I have read several threads about VFW, but I do not understand it. I have a ¾ hp single phase motor. Would I need to convert to a three phase motor and get a special converter with some sort of speed control on it? The picture of your nicely rebuilt DP shows a "Teco" electronic device on it. Is that the VFD?
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 07-01-2012 at 6:16 PM.

I would compare to cost of a 3ph motor (I would probably use a 1.5hp) and a VFD ($120-$170) however I am not sure how I feel about using a VFD for VS on a drill press with NO ability to change ranges, you generally want at least a 5:1 speed range on a DP and that would be pushing it in HP and motor cooling. However, I hope Alan S. in NC will chime in, I don't remember how far he is pushing it. OWWM would be a good place to ask about this. I and plenty of others (that know more than me) will be happy to discuss VFDs if you are interested.

If it were me I would talk to Scott Redmond and Redmond machinery in Newnan GA. They always move a ton of PM drill presses through and they are a good source of used parts if you decide not to buy them OEM or if they are out of stock or too expensive, though the used ones won't be dirt cheap either.

RE the table the PM 1150 came with 3 tables, a utility table, which looks like that you have, a tilting table (which could be the one you have I can't see it completely) and a production table. Of the three only the production table came with a rack and pinion lift. You may be able to source a production table and the parts to convert it BUT that is the most popular table and again won't be cheap. The production table does NOT tilt and until someone screws it up doesn't have any through hole. As for doing something else to raise and lower the table I will let the other more creative folks speak.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Try posting on OWWM. There are lots of folks that have rebuilt 1150s in much worse condition than yours.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Yes you do need a 3 phase motor; they're relatively cheap.
    And yes the Teco controller is in your face. Had to build a panel for it.
    VFD's probably <150$ now.
    Still using a 4 tiered pulley for big changes, but I drill from 50-1000 rpm, rarely faster.
    So the belt stays on one pulley set most of the time.
    Major drilling latitude now, even with .75 hp motor I never stall the thing. Keep it simple.

It just hit me, I wonder if the standard 4 tier pulley will fit on the front and back (skip the normal one in the center). Just put a long belt on and have the range control. Someone that was "handy" with fabrication could replace the VS control on the 1150 with a potentiometer to control the VFD. The total cost could be less than replacing all the Reeves drive parts...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, Thanks for the info about Redmond machinery. I just emailed Scott Redmond and told him of my needs. Hope he can help. The table on my DP is a tilting table. The table's bracket that mounts it to the column has a 3/8" X ⅞" groove running parallel to the column on it's left side (see picture). I wonder if this is to accommodate a rack and pinion lift?
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 07-01-2012 at 7:37 PM.

Great idea! I would not have to replace anything - just remove the VS motor sheave, get 2 step-cone four tier sheaves, a belt, a controller like Pat's Teco Controller and mount it on the original VS speed controller location. This will be a LOT less work than repairing the VS and I will have super low range for metal working to boot.

According to the parts list manual that I have, the 1150 shaft diameters are the same for both step cone model and VS model. I could use OEM step cone sheaves but Grainger will be cheaper. I do not know the OEM outside diameters of the step cone sheaves - can some one measure yours and post?

Now help me with the VFD. What specifically do I need? I have a new in the box Baldor 3hp 1725rpm 3ph motor that is the same physical size as the ¾ hp on the DP (see pictures) - will it work?
    Last edited by Jerry Hillenburg; 07-01-2012 at 7:43 PM.