Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your two biggest sources of inspiration for turning

Your two biggest sources of inspiration for turning

Thought this would be an interesting topic .....it might open doors in some minds..........I know inspiration can be found in many things in nature and the art world.

When it comes to what you find inspiration in for turning projects.........what would you say over your turning "career" has been the two best sources of inspiration for you?

My biggest I would say is the work shown on this SMC turners forum, and the AAW photo galleries.. The other would be forms in pottery that I have seen over the years in travels and museums.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I would be lying if I didn't admit to being inspired by the pieces I have seen posted here and other sites, symposiums and magazines. But I am really drawn to the curves in nature, more expecially the curves in water droplets.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

All the pieces made by SMC members, and all the pottery pieces I've seen during my life... Jerry (in Tucson)

Being a ex football coach I have spent 35 years studying video in great detail. Start stop, slow motion reverse,
    slow again. The other would be having the opportunity to live in the Chicago area and associating with both famous and very talented turners in three woodturning clubs.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

The library has books of paintings (especially still life paintings), and archeology (pictures of artifacts). My second source is the plantation homes/museums in this area, and museums I have visited elsewhere.

My primary inspiration would have to be the pottery I've worked with in a 40 year archaeological career (Turkey, Iran, Iraq [and Crete]), 5000 BC-150 AD (Hittite, Phrygian, Persian, Lydian, Greek, Roman, Elamite, just to name some of the historical era [post 3000 BC] cultures I've worked on. Prehistoric of all sorts.

People that aren't allowed on here anymore.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Southwest pottery is one source but my biggest source is my wife, Colleen! She is always pointing out forms in magazines, stores, on TV, when we are driving, etc. She has more faith in my turning abilities than I do at times and it is her enthusiasm in what I create that pushes me to try new things! It just doesn't get any better than that!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My daily routine and environment are my biggest influence. I always have a camera with me. When I see things or shapes that I like I take a picture. Some things I make are from memories of my childhood and generally have more emotion involved. Shapes of objects will often trigger my memories or emotions.

Alan

I would say there are several turners that have influenced me along with magazines. Love Southwest style pottery also.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Before I turned, I was at a yard sale admiring a turned bowl marked 50.
    It was well worth 50 dollars but I didn't have that much with me. The
    woman having the sale said "you can have that for a quater" I enjoyed
    that bowl for a while. It got lost in a move.
    My wife went to Norway to visit relatives and a cousin sent a bowl turned
    from a tree on family land. We still have that one. Both stories are from
    about 25 years ago. I have only been turning about 5 years but have
    jumped in both feet

There was no internet, nor many books when I started to turn..girls couldn't take shop, nor were we accepted in stores to buy tools. So my inspiration came from myself until recently, when I became aware of Hans W. & Harvey F. I have given them credit many times for the inspiration for my negative space designs
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Taking the things that I see through life and what I then can see within the piece of wood. A line or shape may well develop that I like and can influence the shape and final outcome. It is fun to explore shapes/forms.
    C&C WELCOME

My inspirations will alway be the same: GOD and his many forms like hurricanes, nature, art, geography, etc.

I'm still rather new at this so almost all of my 'experience' and therefore inspiration has come from this website. The rest is from my imagination.