Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pole Barn Workshop

Bill,

I'll be moving back that way within the next year, I'm very interested in hearing your price quotes and decisions you made. Best of luck.

You can use a woodstove that has a coil box and a water circulator that heats water and sends it through a baseboard system.
    However, under floor radiant heat is the best way to go if you have the money.

Even if you can't spring for a full blown under slab system, you can insulate and just rough in the tubing now. 1/2" oxogen barrier tube, 12" o.c., with 300lf max loops.
    Building Inspector, CBO

Thanks for all the input.
    Jerome, seems the Amish either build real good barns or very bad barns from what I have determined. I will most likely try to stay with established companies. I have gotten a few more to get quotes. I really want the in floor radiant heat, but don't have a cost yet. I am guessing $7-9K for heating which is a lot. I would love to keep the price to around $30K, but not sure how close I will be. One quote was $17K built without the concrete work and me insulating the walls.

You might research in floor heat, I have a neighbor who did his own about 30 years ago, he's now having trouble with a couple lines leaking. They are all separate, and he can just turn those off that are bad. He heats with a wood burning boiler, it's just a wood stove with a tank on top, and it still works just fine.

National Barn did mine. its 24' by 50' divided such that there is a 30' equine barn and the rest is my shop. I love it.

If I where building ------------ heat in the floor-------- the plumbing for this has come a long ways in the last couple of years.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I have a 30x50 Wick building with radiant floor heat. Very happy with the building and the price/service was much better than Morton. Put overhead doors on both ends and large windows for more natural lighting. Love the in floor heat and wish I had it in my house.

Thanks for all the information, as it was very helpful. As an update, I did get a quote from Radiantec for the hot water in floor heat. It is within what I planned (at this point) and want to do this as it is mostly positive from people who have this system. The quote was with a on demand natural gas water heating system. I have two quotes on the building, one from Blitz and one from National Barn. Morton just sent a sales package as to why to choose their building. Wicks buildings are not real close, but will build in the area so I might as well get that quote. The only thing I uncertain at this time is the skylights. The bad is the heating loss and the good is the natural light. I don't know which is the better choice. I would like more opinions on that subject. Should be ready to bid out the house and pole barn in a couple of weeks.

Bill

Graber Post Buildings and Daviess Co Metal both would be worth checking out. They are both in Daviess Co IN and are competitive.

I have one of my shops with in-floor heat and my greenhouses all use hot water heat on the benches.

It's a fantastic way to heat. The shop is always comfortable during the winter months. The best part about this type of heat is that it stays radiating heat for a long time after the boiler shuts off. With forced hot air, you're done.

We have a back up furnace and ac. We needed AC so the furnace was sort of an add on.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I was in Evansville over the weekend meeting with various contractors for the house. I had a meeting with the president/owner of Hobgood buildings Saturday on the pole barn. I believe Hobgood is the largest in the area. I was very impressed. They build a lot of the commercial buildings, garages and pole barns in a 5 state area. He went through their construction methods and materials they use. They actually build their own trusses and he employs his crew. They also provide a 3 year warranty on labor. His price was very competitive with other quotes if not better, and he gave me a detailed cost of everything including concrete work. He just seemed to know how to make it come together compared to other quotes of just a building and I was on my own for concrete, electric, etc. As you can well tell this will be my selection for a builder as he is local and has an hourly crew. I haven't seen Hobgood buildings mentioned and was wondering if anyone had one of his buildings.

Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I would also to know opinions on heating. Considering in floor hot water, but don't know much about it.
    Bill, I have in-slab radiant heating and it is a great option for a shop. I don't need to worry about fumes, dust, finish over-spray, etc. because the heat source is in another room. There are open and closed systems; I'd get a closed system with a small conventional water heater (check the required flow rates before getting into tankless solutions). If budget is an issue you can get the tubes placed in the slab and then buy/add the water heater, valves, etc. at a later date.

Friend of mine has a Hobgood and likes it. Looks like good craftsmanship, from what I can tell. As with any builder get a firm quote.

FYI - when I built my shop I used a 100 amp service. Over the years I've upgraded by equipment and I'm out of available power now (just bought a 36" wide 10 hp belt sander). If you have the option to have more amps and 3 phase power I would recommend it.