Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foot operated on/off switch

Foot operated on/off switch

Evening Gents,

I am wondering if you guys know if someone makes a foot operated on/off switch? I find myself in awkward positions after making cuts on my table saw and I was thinking that a foot operated switch may be easier to turn the saw off.

Thanks

Instead of a foot switch, you could rig up something like this that I had on my Grizzly 1023. Just bump the pipe with your knee anywhere along the length of the bar to activate the off switch. Worked great.

Garage-Shop_193.JPG

FWIW, I've tried it in the past and I found that it doesn't work well. Concentrating on keeping the switch pressed while feeding proved to be quite a challenge. I DID find it worked well at my router table, but it worked terribly at the table saw.

Hey John. What is it that you have tried that didn't work?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    Hey John. What is it that you have tried that didn't work?
    It turns out my feet move more than I thought using the table saw, and keeping my foot on the pedal was quite a distraction that I definitely don't need around the TS. I suppose you could use a latching switch instead of the normal momentary switch. A nice paddle switch or crash bar is a lot more usable, IMHO.

Thanks guys. I was thinking of an on/off switch rather than a momentary contact switch. Just seems awkward to reach down under the saw while holding the board.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    It turns out my feet move more than I thought using the table saw, and keeping my foot on the pedal was quite a distraction that I definitely don't need around the TS. I suppose you could use a latching switch instead of the normal momentary switch. A nice paddle switch or crash bar is a lot more usable, IMHO.
    So you have a 'deadman' type switch? Where you have to keep the switch engaged to power the saw? I can see where that might be difficult given the movement required during a TS cutting operation.

I was thinking more of a relatively easy method to turn off the saw without having to take your hands off of the workpiece. Just bump the pipe with your knee to engage the off switch.

My switch is under the saw so I rigged up a paddle about 6 inches wide and 1 feet high. I can hit it with my foot if needed. Works great.

I have seen some after market kill switches that clip over the existing switch, to give a large target to hit 'off'.

I think what the person was asking was for a way to turn the saw on/off (both) without reaching under the saw and fumbling for the switch. I can see why that would be useful, because if a cut is all lined up and ready to go then if I have to bend down and find the switch something might move and the cut would be off. (I frequently line the mark up to the blade edge, which I wouldnt want to do if spinning)

The big danger I see to a foot switch is just plain accidently stepping on it. For this reason I wouldnt do it. John points out that if its one that has to be held down, then you have to stand with your foot on it the whole time and again balance and moving would be compromised (which I wouldnt like the safety of either)

Is there any way you can mount your switch from above? My jointer has a post that comes up from the back and the switch is mounted fairly high in back - this works nice, but you couldnt do it on a table saw. Would have to make a post down from the ceiling and mount the switch to that.

Otherwise maybe move the switch location (some are mounted near the fence underside, and not all the way on the cabinet, which might reduce the reach a bit)

But I like the safety switches - that take a different motion for 'on' than for 'off' (Off should be big and easy to hit.... On, not so much)

A knee operated off switch was the best and safest modification that I've made to my Unisaw.

You will have a hard time finding an on off switch that can handle the motor of your table saw without going bad. If you are properly using the table saw you need to move your feet and a foot switch isn't very practical. If it was a practical solution I'm sure Rockler would be selling one yesterday.

A paddle on your existing switch (which should be to the left of the blade so you are out of the path of a kick back) and can easily be bumped with your thigh or knee is the answer. A simple hinge under the table with a piece of wood and a rubber bumper placed over the off switch and a cut out for the on switch.

I see Harvey beat me to it, that's what I was trying to describe.

+1 on what Harvey shows, I have something similar the only difference is that you have to lift up the flap to turn it on. Figured it would keep little hands from turning it on by accident.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

I do not recommend used of a foot-operated power switch on a tool like a table saw...too much potential for an accident. Best practice is to follow through with the cut to clear the blade completely using push blocks/push sticks/jigs, as appropriate and then move to remove power once you are well away from the blade. It's not a bad idea to construct or buy a larger "off" paddle (similar to what is shown in post #10) for your saw's switch that you can slap with your hand or knee if need be to help in this situation, too. But a foot switch...not for me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nothing wrong with big paddles or bump switches, but if retaining control of the material requires some awkward or dangerous position, it's really time to rig some auxiliary support.
    - Tom

I second what Harvey said... I have the same type paddle on my Powermatic. Works great.

Sam