Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluorescent Base ID Please

Fluorescent Base ID Please

I recently read that blog on shop lighting. Timely. I was planning on updating my shop lights. So, I purchased a bunch of fixtures (8 ft, T12, magnetic). I also bought a large box of 15 bulbs. Turns out they are the wrong base type. Here is a picture of my base. Is this for the two pin type? I've not seen this before. BTW, the bulbs I purchased were single pin bulbs.

Mike

fluorescent.JPG

Mike....can you give me a manufacturer name and model number for the fixture?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Metalux, ssf-296ho-Unv-eb21-u

Lowes: http://m.lowes.com/mt/www.lowes.com:...eviews#reviews

Thanks Ken, mike
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 07-03-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Mike,

Here's a link to Metalux's/Cooper Industries website : http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...f090671_ss.pdf

On page 2 it shows that: SSF = Commercial Wide striplight......296= 2 bulbs 110 watt T12 HO (high output) ...It doesnt' indicate what the UNV means but EB2= Electronic Rapid Start...1= 1 ballast ....U = Unit pack = each light unit is packaged separately.

I'd look at the 110 watt T-12 bulbs and see it they have 2 pins like the old style T-12's do. If they do, then I'd say the contacts on these new sockets are spring-loaded. You would put one end into a socket...raise the lamp up and press towards that socket until the pins at the other end of the lamp clear the other socket....then allow the pins at the 2nd end to seat into the pins at that socket.

PS....to answer your question....yes...I believe these fixtures take 2 pin bulbs.....T-12 HO bulbs...that is.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-03-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    Ken

Mike......this link shows that type of socket and it is a dual pin plunger end socket http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4672/FHO-096CW.html

Click on "Accessories" and scroll down and you can see and identical socket.

Let's see if this link will work: http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5306/SOCK-16401.html
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-03-2012 at 1:08 AM.
    Ken

So the answer to your question.....is yes....this type of socket is made to use 2 pin T-12 HO bulbs......
    Ken

Thanks Ken. So, I'm off to the Borg to trade out my lights. I have never seen single pin lights before. And that is the ONLY thing Lowes sells in bulk. Argh.

I will be visiting the customer service counter to voice my angst over this.

Mike

Turns out it is not dual pin. It's some kind of keyed part on the end of the bulb. With two contacts.

Mike....my apology. I mistook the Philips manufacturer's description "double-contact" to mean 2 pins.
    Ken

T12 HO and VHO are unique bases so that bulbs can not be interchanged with something that is not compatable and unsafe.

I can't really see from the picture but it looks like it is probably a T12 HO base. If you can confirm it is T12 HO from the model number then you need to go to a real lighting supplier to get HO bulbs. I believe you can only get 95w T12 HO bulbs readily.

Assuming the fixtures are T-12 HO, where did you get them and more importantly, WHY?

Are you telling me that you just bought new T-12 HO fixtures?

Edited to add: I followed the link to Lowes site and am amazed that they are selling these. I assume that they only sell them online so they are available for the very specific purpose where these would be a good choice. If you don't know exactly the proper use of a HO fixture, you probably don't want these.

I used a bunch of T12 HO and VHO fixtures when they made sense at the time, which is a long time ago. I vacated one of those buildings in 2010. I left the fixtures as they weren't worth taking for free.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 07-03-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Yup. I'm overly concerned that I have scewed up now. No biggie, I can take them back. The only other 8 ft fixture they sell is a Metalux with electronic ballast. Says on the box that they will not work well below 60 F. The reviews on it are bad too. So, I will either stick with these or find something else. I'm just concerend that HO lights are on the endangered species list. Anybody know?

You know, I am quite agravated with Lowes right now. Basically, if its a T12 light, its gonna be phased out.

Mike,

http://www.mauriceelectric.com/Adobe...T12_v10_PR.pdf

Check this out. According to it, the T12 and T12 HO lights are being phased out as of July 2012 per new federal regulations.

In the first page of Jack's article here he mentions that magnetic ballasts and T12 flourescent lights are being phased out.

He also mentioned that in his original article 10 years ago.
    Ken

Starting about 10 years ago, the primary use of T12 HO fixtures was for cold storage facilities. They also were used for some displays but my best guess is that has faded to about zero use.

Standard T12 bulbs and ballasts are history this year but I thought there was some alternative for the HO. I think they are going to a more efficient bulb that will still work in the fixtures but as I recall the bulb cost was going up and the wattage down.

I buy lots of lights for a variety of different businesses. There are two commercial lighting places nearby and a bunch of Lowes and HDs in the same area. I have never found any lights at Lowes worth buying. HD does have several. Any of the Lithonia units at HD that have the MVolt 120-277 ballasts are good lamps at a good price. They only have a few popular items, mostly overstocks like the 6 lamp high bay T8 units that are only $85. Most high bay buyers are using T5 HO now but the difference in price can't be justified unless your power is really expensive and/or you run them 24/7.

Is there a reason you want 8' fixtures? How high is your ceiling and how high do you want to mount the lamps?

Hi. Thanks for the info. I ended up buying Lithonia fixtures from HD. Lowes appears to have nothing useful for shops. Their tandem 8ft (4 bulb) is now half the width of their display model. At least at the two stores I visited. I pointed that out to them. They seemed surprised that they had the wrong items in display. HD had what I needed. I don't know if that ballast is what I have. I will check tomorrow. But I don't have a lot of choice in the matter. Why do I need 8ft? Did u read that article at the homepage? That's what Jack said. Plus, less install work for the amount of light. I am not installing 16 fixtures per his calculator. 5. And I'm strategically placing them. I'm also installing pull switches so can turn some off if I don't need all of them. Just the one I got installed tonight blew my socks off! Man, this process has been stressful. But you all have been very helpful!

Thanks!

Mike
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 07-03-2012 at 10:30 PM.