Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trick to hold down thin material

Here is my setup for the tacky mat. Ignore the blue tape - it's from another project I was working. I've used this side of the mat for probably a year. It's double sided and the other side is still like new. This holds my IP or RowMark flat especially since my honecomb is warn out and sags.
    IMG_6377.jpgIMG_6378.jpgIMG_6379.jpg
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim, what's your source for the tacky mat? Is it the JDS MAT1?

Best, Ted

I'm not in this as a business, just tinkering. I've been playing around doing veneer inlays to assist with my woodworking obsession. I found that if I put a very light spray of 3M Super 77 spray glue on a scrap of birch plywood, it makes a great tacky surface for fine cutting of thin veneers. The important this is to let the glue dry for at least a few hours before you use it. Otherwise, the veneer will become permantly attached to the plywood.
    I have a new controller in my Chinese laser that will allow PPI (pulse per inch) operation. The machine is a Redsail 60W M900. With the glass tube lasers it can be difficult to bring the power down below 20% because the tube become unstable. Using the PPI function lowers the average power output , making it posible to raise the peak power setting. On my machine, 200PPI at 30% acts more like a 10% setting. It produces a very fine kerf. This may work on LaserCut machines by using the hole mode and setting the spacing at .13mm.
    This is a test piece of Birch plywood with Walnut veneer inlay I did for a friend.
    tiny inlay.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Owen View Post
    Tim, what's your source for the tacky mat? Is it the JDS MAT1?
    Best, Ted
    Yes that's the one I use. Best $99 I've spent.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Thanks, guys.

Best, Ted