Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple Leaf Bowl

Maple Leaf Bowl

I finally finished the burning on the leaf. I learned a lot burning this simple leaf. There are a couple of things I will do different next time. Over all I am happy with the final result. The bowl has a couple coats of lacquer. Once the finish is rubbed out and buffed, I will get better pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Wow, that it amazing! The 3-D effect is blowing my mind. I'm still not convinced you didn't just grab a leave and set it on the plate

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Jacobson View Post
    Wow, that it amazing! The 3-D effect is blowing my mind. I'm still not convinced you didn't just grab a leave and set it on the plate
    I agree, i think he's trying to fool us. great job man.

Incredible. Want to pick up the leaf and see what he did underneath it. Very nice.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Thanks guys.

I never thought of actually gluing a leaf in the bottom of the bowl. It sure would have been quicker and easier. I will have to keep that in mind for next time.

Jeff - amazing work! Excellent job on creating a 3-D effect! Like I mentioned on Facebook - about as real as it gets! Looking forward to seeing some additional photos when possible!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve. This will be my last turning for about a month. I just started a large 11"x14" burning for a auction in august. But I should be able to get some good pics in about a week. I still have to do the gilding on the Mona Lisa piece.

Very cool Jeff. If you get another maple leaf to do, I wonder how a lightly dyed leaf (say orange or yellow hue) would look. I mean it already looks soooo real, the coloring would really top it off. My only concern would be the bleed factor.

Again, really cool. I love it!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

First class. I'm glad you posted progressive photos. It lets us see the process and how the piece goes from good to fantastic. I also notice that you know just when to stop.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Very cool Jeff. If you get another maple leaf to do, I wonder how a lightly dyed leaf (say orange or yellow hue) would look. I mean it already looks soooo real, the coloring would really top it off. My only concern would be the bleed factor.

Again, really cool. I love it!
    Thanks Scott. I do plan on doing one in autumn colors at some point. I want to use an airbrush and dye. That should help with any bleeding. Either that or primsa color markers and alcohol to blend them. I do need to practice first.

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Allinson View Post
    First class. I'm glad you posted progressive photos. It lets us see the process and how the piece goes from good to fantastic. I also notice that you know just when to stop.
    Deane
    Thanks Deane, The shading is the hard part. I found if I go to light it gets lost when you apply the finish and the wood darkens a bit.

Amazing 3-D effect Jeff! I keep going back to look at it and I'd swear there is a real leaf on it! Excellent job!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

very nice, thanks for sharing

Very impressive hope to see these at TOC

Excellent job Jeff! Could you bring with you Monday night? I'd like to see in person.

Thanks everyone.

Tim, I will probably bring it to TOC. I have not decided yet.

Russ, I will bring it Monday if I can make the meeting. I might have to work.