Thread: trent bosch tools?

trent bosch tools?

I've done hollow forms in the past using the Sorby hollow master, now I want "upgrade" but can't afford the monster rig. So I am looking at the Trent Bosch tools. What are your opinions, are they worth it. I am looking at the 5/8" with the purple handle set for $185.

Ryan you're takeing the same path that I did and yes I am very happy wth that Bosch hollowing set.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

I don't own them but have held them. They are pretty decent tools with some heft to them. I haven't priced them against Monster's version of the similar tool though.

Trent is a great guy and I do won his carving stand for a chucked up piece. I like it a lot.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I do own the Bosch set and really like them for hand held hollowing. Having said that, I did upgrade to a Monster system which is certainly easier. I still like and use the Bosch tools some plus they fit into the Monster as well! I don't think you will regret the purchase though I wouldn't be surprised if you upgraded to one of the hollowing systems before too long.

I bought a set last year as I was unhappy with my keltons. I think they work great and as Bob mentioned the 5/8" fit nicely into my monster rig.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

I have Sorby Hollow Master, Mike Jackofsky Hollow Pro and Trent Bosch hollowing tools. My favorite is the Trent Bosch (I have 5/8" and 3/4", although the 5/8" is what I use most). I took a class with Trent and learned to use his tools under his guidance. Super guy, really good tools that are reasonably priced. And, you can replace the cutting tip for $8. My next preference is the Mike Jackofsky carbide tools. These are a tad bit trickier for me to use, as the carbide cutters can be less forgiving. Don't much care for the Sorby, although I use Sorby bowl gouges and am very happy with them.
    Del

Anybody know the difference between the Bosch tools and the Jordan tools? They look almost identical... the price on the 1/2" Boush set is $20.00 cheaper.

If you are looking for a 5/8" shaft and want to hand hollow, both are similar. The cutting edge is 3/16" square steel, usually 10% cobalt. I have JJ's tools but only because that is what I happened to buy at the time. I'm sure Trent's are equally good. If you met and like Trent, that's a good reason to buy his tools. The trick is to buy the right handle. I only use a normal handle for the straight tools. I use arm braces for all curved tools. They take the pressure off your wrist. You can find those at Don Pencil's web site.

Paul, the main difference I noticed on the bent tools is Trent mills both sides of the bent area, and J.Jordan mills one side.

I have the John Jordan tools, 3/4 and 1/2. Both sets use set screws to hold in the cutters. I was told that the Trent Bosch tools use CA to hold the cutters. Heat with a propane torch to remove.
    God is great and life is good!

I use Trent's 5/8" straight , 5/8" bent and 3/4" straight exclusively. I think they are great.
    "My favorite piece is my last one, my best piece is my next one."