Thread: Cork to Wood, which glue?

Cork to Wood, which glue?

I want to attach some cork to the jaws of my Record vise. I have wood attached now, but the bolts still can touch the stock. I'm thinking that cork will be good for pads. So which glue will work the best? Thanks.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Stan, had to jump in here just to see

what you were building now. lol
    I would think that as cork is a wood product [I think], that regular old wood glue would work ok. Heck, I use titebond glue to glue leather pads on my metal F-clamps and it stays for quite some time till they get knocked off.

Steve

cork

Isn't it the bark of a tree?

Since the mechanical compression of the vise supplies the holding power I would think what you would want is a glue that stays flexible so that the joint would not break up. Maybe something like rubber cement or contact cement?
    bob boake-Tulsa OK

double faced masking tape?

Hi Stan, Why not use double faced masking tape? Then when the cork gets old you can just peel it off and apply new cork. Just a quick thought. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

Hi Stan

I got a pair of those magnetic backed wood with felt cover plates for my vice years ago. The ablity to remove the pads is great.

If I wanted to make my own I would:

Get a sheet of magnet for inkjet printing

Cut a couple of piece of 1/4" thick wood (perhaps plywood) and glue the cork to the plywood.

I would use yellow glue between the cork and wood and CA glue between the magnet and wood. Glue everything up.

Put a piece of waxed paper between the pads and over the faces of the vice and clamp it in place over night.

In place of the cork you could use some of the sitcky acked flt you can get at a craft store like TotalCraft or Michels.

Good luck
    Last edited by Richard Allen; 05-02-2003 at 4:03 PM.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Contact cement will work fine. Rubber cement won't hold.

Todd.

And the winner is.....

Pete. Thanks to all for your suggestions. The reason this response is so late is that I new I had to use some double stick tape for some turning projects. I wanted to see just how strong it is. No problemo. It holds great.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

A little different suggestion. Instead of cork, find your way to your local shoe repair shop and latch onto some thick sole leather. Bond that to something removable like the magnets suggested using "Bardge" cement, also sold by many shoe repair shops. I've had a set of "leathers" for my vice for years and they really work well and last forever.

bill

For future reference, a nice site to keep bookmarked for these kind of quesitons is http://thistothat.com
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...