Thread: Funky Olive Shroom

Funky Olive Shroom

First post, first pics, first mushroom. Olive wood, turned on two axis to try for a funky effect, about 6 and 1/2 inches tall, and about 5 and 1/2 inches wide. Power sanded to 320, then lacquer based sanding sealer applied, then hand sanded to 1200, then an oily wax was polished into it.
    This was all done at the shop of one of the Nor-Cal Woodturning club's mentors. I then Beall buffed it at home. I have done a few other turnings, but have little experience in taking pictures and no experience in getting them into my computer and then on here. Getting them uploaded took me about three hours today. But anyway I am so pleased at how this turned out I felt I had to try to get it posted.

Let me know what you think.

Phil

If any other of you newbies and lurkers are not taking advantage and getting involved with your local woodturning club and its mentors, you are really missing out!!!!

100_0246.JPG100_0250.JPG100_0249.JPG100_0248.JPG100_0253.jpg

I think the olive makes for a very neat mushroom..makes it look like a "spalted" mushroom! Cute!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Welcome. I like it and the wood works very well with the subject. It must have been fun.
    C&C WELCOME

Welcome from the middle of the Left Coast Phil!
    Cool lookin' shroom...olive is a great wood for the effect. Finish looks like you really took took your time with it.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

5. Nice shroom Phil.........gotta luv the olive wood ..........great grain in most olive that one sees. Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the vortex..........it will be quite a ride from here on out!

+1 on your advice to newbies to get involved in a local club........it will cut the learning process by 3/4 vs. trying to learn on your own............a mentor to show proper tool presentation and how to sharpen gouges will be a tremendous help!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Phil - glad you are sharing your work with us! Great looking shroom! Beautiful wood and the multi-axis turning gives it a touch of realism! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very Alice in Wonderlandy. I like it
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I'm not a huge shroom fan...but I'll make an exception on this one. The lightness of the edge and beautiful wood really makes this one special. Well done!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!