Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane strik buttons

Blog Entries

Plane strik buttons

I was wondering if there is much difference between a ebony button or a mahogany one? is the energy transfer much different? maybe a 10mm brass dowel?

Good question Matthew! I think one would want a material dense enough to transfer the energy but not so hard as to trash a wooden plane hammer. So the ebony in your list of three.

I would use the ebony. Mahogany may be too soft to hold up without denting. Personally, I wouldn't use brass on a wooden plane, but it might look good depending on the wood used for the plane body.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Ebony,I agree. I've seen old ones made of boxwood,too. My favorite old Nurse(maker's name) plane has a boxwood one.

I really like the ebony strike button on the planes which have them. On old planes I've seen and own, they seem to hold up the best over the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Great! how deep does it need to be imbeded?

On most planes I see overhere, they just used a big hex bolt. Something like an inch across the flats. The top is usually filed in a bit of a dome shape. But I agree, ebony would look a lot nicer.

Blog Entries
    Hi Kees, who uses a Hex bolts? factories? sounds pretty tacky to me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    Good question Matthew! I think one would want a material dense enough to transfer the energy but not so hard as to trash a wooden plane hammer. So the ebony in your list of three.
    Thanks Jim! wish I had a dowel plate or somthing

Kees, where is "overhere"??

The button's that I've seen that are loose or missing have been set 3/4" to 1" into the body of the plane.

Overhere is in The Netherlands. I can find old Nooitgedagt wooden planes in heaps. And most jointers have such a bolt up on the front. Older Dutch planes also had iron strike buttons but usually a bit mOre refined. Makes you wonder if the carpenters used a metal hammer for plane adjustments.

Nooitgedagt was in business from 1865 or so untill the 1980s.

I have a late 1800s wooden jack with the button missing (you can see where it was). If it was recessed at all, it was less than 1/32". I suppose that's probably why it was missing. Still, 3/4" to 1" seems a bit unnecessary.

Kees,what does Nooitgedagt mean? I always wondered.

Nooitgedagt was the name of the guy who started the company. It means something like: who would have thought that?