Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane strik buttons

A very different sort of name than we would have here!!!! I taught a couple of off the boat Greek boys in 1963. They thought it was hilarious that some people had names that were colors,like Mr. Green,etc..

2. The Sandusky Tool Co. used Lignum Vite for most planes, ebony on their "best" planes. Smooth and jack planes strikes were 3/4" dia. at the top, tapering to 5/8", 1" long. Jointers were 1 1/16" dia. tapering to 1", 1" long. All were domed on the top. 18th C planes and user made planes used a diamond shape strike, some are found with a huge wrought nail as a strike. If you don't have a lathe, the diamond shaped ones look great.

Matthew,
    I turned a 3/4" x 3/4" x 12" Ebony turning blank from Woodcraft into a 3/4" round dowel 12" long on the lathe which made 16 3/4" od x 3/4" long strike buttons which I used in the kingwood handles of some (7) chisels. I used a lathe but you could easily do the job with a plane. Maybe use an octagon shaped button..
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Blog Entries
    Roy thats a great idea... my problem is exotic woods I have to order from overseas... I'm considering just using a 3/4 oak dowel beacuse I want to put the plane into real use.

Dogwood is also a possibility.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Matthew,

Let's see if I lived in say, Israel...I think I'd use a piece of olivewood!!! I've never had any but I've seen it at Woodcraft, and I think it would fit the bill nicely. Another suggestion, and I'm showing my total lack of knowledge as to what is available to you in Israel is to seek out pen blanks. Practically any species of wood you could want.
    Then again, there's nothing wrong with oak...
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    A very different sort of name than we would have here!!!! I taught a couple of off the boat Greek boys in 1963. They thought it was hilarious that some people had names that were colors,like Mr. Green,etc..
    Yes that is a funny story. Official family names where introduced by th French when they occupied our country in 1800. A lot of people didn't take it serious and gave a funny name. But later on the new Dutch government took over this new rule and there are still some of these funny names around.