Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thought about a new PM 3520

Any thought about a new PM 3520

With the new bells and whistles on the 4224b, it seems logical to update the venerable 3520. Integrated vacuum chucking, redesigned tool post clamping, double locking on the headstock sliding mechanism, etc. Just random thoughts on a Thursday night while I dream about the one day when I'll have a monster lathe to call my own.

Do you think the 3520b is getting long in the tooth or is it still hitting the right notes?

Thanks
    Jon

From an owner of 6 years, the 3520b can do no wrong.

'I can be unstoppable,if I could only get started.'
    Max.

I am sure the 4224b is a great lathe; but it's advantages over the 3520b are primarily in size and weight. Most people rarely use the full capacity of the 3520b and would not benefit much with more capacity. For those who sometimes challenge a 3520b with large pieces, the 4224b would be a nice upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    I am sure the 4224b is a great lathe; but it's advantages over the 3520b are primarily in size and weight. Most people rarely use the full capacity of the 3520b and would not benefit much with more capacity. For those who sometimes challenge a 3520b with large pieces, the 4224b would be a nice upgrade.
    +1 on what Dennis said. The 3520b is the value leader in big heavy lathes. The desire to use that extra capacity afforded by the 4224 may be greater than the actual need for the vast majority. That being said, when money is no object, always go bigger to gain that extra margin of stability and capability.

I had a chance to look the new 4224b over this past week at a Woodcraft, and it's nice, but were I in market for a bigger lathe, I'd like to get it without the upcharge for the vacuum and lighting, both of which I already have and don't need to upgrade. The only feature about the 4224b that I like over the 3520b (besides size and extra HP) are the well designed indexing wheel (which I don't have much current use for...but may). Both have sliding headstocks, but I would like to have seen them provide a bit more clearance behind the spindle head like that afforded by the Oneway's or Robust machines of similar size.

If you're just getting into turning and want a big lathe with all the bells and whistles...the 4224b comes loaded and you won't be struggling to figure out vacuum chucking and lighting, indexing, etc. That being said, it will need some pretty significant price breaks (which I'm sure will happen) before it becomes competitive with the likes of the Robust AB or Oneway 2436, IMO.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

While there are times I'd like to have a vacuum chuck and a little more swing on my 3520B, the other features of the 4224 don't tempt me much. I've never had any issues with the current locking mechanisms on the 3520, and think they may only be necessary with the bigger and heavier pieces you can spin on the 4224. I've never used the indexing I do have, so I can't imagine wanting more. Of course, I rarely do any spindle turning. I love my Powermatic, but if I ever upgraded I think I would buy the one with the stainless steel ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    While there are times I'd like to have a vacuum chuck and a little more swing on my 3520B, the other features of the 4224 don't tempt me much. I've never had any issues with the current locking mechanisms on the 3520, and think they may only be necessary with the bigger and heavier pieces you can spin on the 4224. I've never used the indexing I do have, so I can't imagine wanting more. Of course, I rarely do any spindle turning. I love my Powermatic, but if I ever upgraded I think I would buy the one with the stainless steel ways.
    Good point Jon... The SS ways. We all love newer and better that is the reason for my question... If PM were to release an upgrade to the 3520 what would you like to see? SS ways is a great idea... I would be very happy with a 3520 (a or b) as it would be a huge upgrade from my delta 46-460.

Jon

talked to Ed about him changing his bearings:

Hi Charlie - The bearings powermatic used were:

FAG 6207.2ZR.C3 (double shielded) and a FAG 6207.C3 (open) on the right hand side (with the open bearing closest to the work which makes no sense to me. This is the bearing that failed.).

KBC 6206DD C3G81 (double sealed) on the left side.

FAG and KBC are korean bearings made by Shaeffler Korea Corp.

My bearings were replaced with what powermatic used, except the open bearing was replaced with another double shielded bearing.

Ed

my bearings on 1642 are different sizes, that surprized me, the smaller one was not froze up or anything but needed replacing, the big one is close to the work on the headstock

Last edited by charlie knighton; 07-06-2012 at 4:49 PM.

Jon (I like the way you spell your name, by the way),

Other than the stainless steel ways, the only upgrade I can think of would be a slightly smaller headstock to give me better access from that side on bowls. I am really pretty happy with what I have.

Jon

I don't like the speed range on the 3520B. I had an A for 8 years. When they upgraded, the slow speed range went from 1500 to 1200. I used the slow speed range for bowls, and 1500 was fine for smaller pieces. When stepping up to the higher speed, it didn't have the torque for the heavy pieces. The speed range also starts at 50 on the minimum range. On the A, it went down to almost 0, which I use for sanding my warped bowls. The 4224 has 3 speed ranges. This is what I have on my Robust. I use the mid range the most, which was programmed to run up to about 2200. Ironically, the upgraded Robust has gone to 2 speed ranges, eliminating the one I use the most. Not sure why, but apparently a lot of other turners don't use the mid range. I do think that would help the B.

robo hippy

I don't havejust thoughts about it; I dream about buying it and all those optional add ons. My dream, though, turn into a nightmare when I get to the cash register.

I have been pondering the 4224B... to replace my 3520B lost in a shop fire. I love the mass, the lights, the vacuum.. but...

The vacuum is a venturi vacuum that needs 90 PSI and about 2CFM... I have a compressor that can provide that easily enough.. but the cycling will get old. I would prefer to have the option of either the venture vacuum or the ability to hook up an existing vacuum pump. With the 4224B, there is no option of the vacuum pump.

I'm now shifted from that's what I'm going to get to back onto the fence and maybe a 3520B instead..

I've got a few more months to make up my mind. Construction should begin on the new shop in a month or so....

Joe, if you want the bigger lathe but don't want the venturi vacuum, I don't see why you can't easily adapt your vacuum pump model to whereever the 4224 accepts the output of the venturi. If you aren't sure, and that's the only thing holding you back, let me know. I typically go by our WC once a week and can stop in and look at it again to see what you'd need to do if that helps your decision. I'm thinking just a substitute connection, but you may also be able to keep both the venturi vacuum in tact and option of vacuum pump on the fly with a 3-way valve too.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Blog Entries
    I have seen the PM 4224b personally at the AAW symposium. That monster is definitely the finest machine I've ever seen. The quality of this machine is absolutely incredible. If I didn't just get a PM4224, I'd be all over one for myself. I was going to get a VB36 but everything is special for that machine only. The PM4224b will use industry standard accessories. I went over that machine with a fine tooth comb and it was obvious that they really listen to the turners out there and did it right. The lighting is awesome too. All these features would cost you a fortune if you started stacking them up next to any other lathe. I say get the 4224b and never have to buy another lathe as long as you live. Tell PM I sent you.8-)
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I am with everyone on the 3520B, never a bit of trouble, but I wonder how much turning has to be done to wear out the bearings on one! I have turned a few thousand things on mine and some big ugly out of balance were in the mix and mine are still as nice as can be. But now of course I have cursed myself and the bearing will fail the next time I turn!

I agree with Joe on the venturi vacuum, not what one really would want in a vacuum system that is incorporated in the lathe. If I got one I would use the gauge and make a quick connect for a regular vacuum pump.

With money and time one can create the lathe of lathes, but not for the open market, that is why we dream.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Blog Entries
    I use the vacuum I have for vacuum bagging. I got a refurb from Joe @veneer supplies.com. 5cfm he also has instructions on how to build your own. Now that I havwe a vacuum chuck, I use it all the time. It has become an essential tool in the quest for excellence. 8-)
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.