Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to cut a circle?

Best way to cut a circle?

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I am building a new table for my Big Green Egg...finally putting some of my new tools to work. I am going to need to cut a circle ~20" in dia. and I am wondering what the best way to cut the circle would be. I was planning on routing the edge with a semi-round router bit..or maybe just a roundover.

Thanks for the tips.

I've seen people do it on the table saw. I couldn't do it.
    I would use router or bandsaw.
    Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 07-06-2012 at 11:26 PM.

What do you have for tools? A good bandsaw or a router and guide would be my first choices.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I need to cut a hole with an ID and not a circular piece of plywood. Not sure how I would use a bandsaw. What type of router guide are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Romero View Post
    What type of router guide are you referring to?
    Something like this...I make mine from 1/4" plywood or MDF.

Jig.JPG
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

This router circle cuting jig has worked excellently for me.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...3&site=ROCKLER

On this project I cut 4 full circles and the inside and outside curves on 24 pieces, a total of 48 curved tongue and groove joints, and the jig never slipped on me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Jasper jig makes a indexed circle jig that will give exact perfect circles. The jig comes in 3 sizes. They are what a lot of DIY speaker guys use. I had one of those in my car audio days long before a shop or any big tools.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'd use a router and a trammel - which is what Cody has pictured.

Make sure the one you construct is good and solid. Any slight movement in it will snap your router bits like toothpicks - as I found out the hard way.
    I used some scrap pegboard for mine and broke three 1/4" bits making one 24" diameter cut out.

I posted here asking why the bits were breaking & Pat Warner told me it was due to the inadequate jig flexing.

Router and a circle cutting jig either commercial or shop built is the way to go.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Bandsaw would be my first choice, followed by the router....

Best of luck with your project,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I'd use a bandsaw or jig saw to cut most of the waste, then finish with the router. The only issue, assuming this is real wood, is that there are two points on the circle where you are cutting unsupported fibers and can get some nasty tearout (think running your hand from tail to head on a dog.) Sometimes even if you are real careful.

Thanks guys. I need to cut a hole with an ID..so the bandsaw is not the best option. Looks like the router jig is probably my best option. Will a 1/4" dado bit work for the cut?

Found one of these at my local L..es store at 50% of the original $39.99 price. Probably discounted for obvious reasons but I am going to give it a shot. I doubt I will need to cut holes all that often.

http://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-122.../dp/B004OCH224

a 1/4 inch spiral bit is the best

I just used a jigsaw following a pencil marked circle. Any variance in the cut is mostly hidden with the Egg in the hole. You need about 1/4-1/2" space around the Egg as it gets very hot during slow cooks.